Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Unhappy Confused about ketosis

Hi. I've been on Atkins since Oct. 26. I did purchase keto sticks. I'd read on this forum that there were a lot of things that can affect (or is it effect?) the sticks, so not to go too highly on their color.

Now the induction phase is to burn your glycogen reserves and put you into ketosis, correct? So if you are 4 weeks into this and suddenly you find your keto sticks not changing color, then what?

How quickly do the keto sticks measure your system?

For example, yesterday I ate scrambled eggs (2), canadian bacon (2 pieces), cheese, pork rinds, boiled shrimp, lettuce/cheese/green pepper salad with ranch dressing and then, out of mouth desperation, a Ross LC bar. I measured my keto level 3 hrs after eating the LC chocolate bar, and again first thing this morning. At both measurings I was fine (according to the keto stick).

Now, after a sausage and cheese breakfast I'm out of ketosis according to the strips... so now what?

I don't believe I go over 20-25 carbs per day... and I've two other Ross LC bars before and they didn't through me out...

What do I do?

Thank you for your time,
Karla
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
What do I do?

If it were me, what I'd do is stop using the Ketostix! Hate the darn things. Quite a few things can affect the readings - the more water you drink (which is good) the less of a reading you will get - that is why dark is not necessarily good - oftentimes it means you aren't getting enough water.

You may very well be doing nothing incorrectly. Some people never/rarely show a trace on those things - but still lose weight. Some people sear by the little sticks, and it makes them good to see "proof" - but IMHO, that proof is too subjective.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 14:53

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I have been on Atkin's for 19 months. I purchased one bottle of the ketostix, used about 15 out of 50 and threw them out.

They are frustrating at best.

Better way to tell if you are in ketosis is how do you feel? BTW...are you taking any supplement/vitamin that turns your urine a different color? If so guess what? That kills the strip. Better to use your vitamins/supplement than those strips.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default thanks for all the info on ketostix

I bought 300 of them on ebay - now I wonder if it was such a good idea? I take a lot of multivitamin supplements and maybe it's affecting the color of my ketostix as well.

Gail
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 15:05

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Even though I hate the little evil things My husband swears by them - they can be a usefull tool for him - just as long as he has learned that don't get too upset when (not if) they don't turn. So by all means, keep using them as long as they don't frustrate you!

As with many things, I am sure there will be a pro-ketostix user along soon that will give the opnion of that side of the coin!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Cool Thank you all

I guess I'm just insecure!

I only weigh once a week (while at work on the fancy hospital scale) and today is the day. Since last Saturday I've lost one lb. Not much... but "they" say that slow weight loss is best, right?

As for how I feel... I'm not sure what ketosis is supposed to feel like, but I know that I don't get cravings, I don't really get hungry... you know that ravenous (sp?) type of hunger where you will eat the wallpaper if it has fruit on it???

Maybe I should change me avatar to a turtle... as in 'slow and steady wins the race'???

Karla
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 15:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default that's a good idea to weigh in once a week

We have a doctor's scale in our bathroom and I'm stupid enough to get on it every morning. I gained a pound this morning - I'm sure it's just normal variation but it's kind of demoralizing too. I'm a turtle too - I'm sure it will take forever to lose my weight but hopefully WE WILL ALL DO IT

Gail
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 19:41

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Karla ,
When I am in Ketosis like I am now I just checked I am at moderate. Your mouth tastes awful, no appetitie and your urine smells bad. I have to check just like I have to weigh I am compulsive that way. Pat
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 07:50
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/106
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

I believe i am in ketosis for the 2st few days.But after that i think my breath do not indicate my bad breath anymore and my urine does not have a typical heavy smell anymore.So does that mean i am not in Ketosis??
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 11:16

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Karla
I'm like Pat, my appetite is low, my urine is stronger smelling and my mouth tastes yuck plus by breath is not so great either. I used the strips after my first week and found them to be a great boost in my morale and the dark purple helped keep me on the induction but then I read where if it is dark purple that I am not drinking enough water (which was true). I have used them off and on for my first month and and it wasn't untill this week that the color really didn't change. Now I just read that if you are drinking lots of water that this can effect it. I have finally started drinking 64 oz every day which is probably the reason.

I do like the strips every now and then but now I know I don't have to panic if it doesn't turn because I can tell other ways. Plus I am still learning not to panic if my weight goes up again after a loss because for me it is usually water retention due to salt (basically ham for me) That happened to me this week and I got really upset but today I'm back down again. It's best for me if I only weigh once a week. I really hate scales!

"keep on keeping on"

Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 02:54

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Thumbs up Purple = happiness.

Personally, I love ketone testing strips (my roommate calls them "pee sticks" for short). I test myself perhaps once a week, or whenever I feel like I need to know if my body's still "on the right track". Seeing the strip change is a tremendous positive reinforcement for me.

-- Nicky
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 209/162.6/130 Female 5'0"
BF:?/33.9%/21%
Progress: 59%
Thumbs down Purple & Ketostix

Quote:
Originally posted by Nems
...but then I read where if it is dark purple that I am not drinking enough water (which was true). I have used them off and on for my first month and and it wasn't untill this week that the color really didn't change. Now I just read that if you are drinking lots of water that this can effect it. I have finally started drinking 64 oz every day which is probably the reason.

Why do I cringe every time I read this purple = dehydration? Everytime a question comes up on Ketostix, there are lots of posts to it telling people that they are probably dehydrated if they are purple.

I drink 15-20cups a day and my sticks always turn purple. I'm definitely not dehydrated and I have been advised by my family doctor that to take that down to 15 cups or less as my uric acid levels are through the roof.

Purple doesn't always mean dehydration, it could mean you are just burning well!!!!!

Just my 2cents
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 12:02

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I agree with you Trish..i am the same..the whole dehydration thing is a Myth..I am always purple..and the stick changes color pending how much your drinking/eating..what you're drinking/eating...when you're testing..so on...everyone needs to calm down about the stix...ANY color means you're in ketosis..the point is not to get the darkest color neccesarily
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I am a fan of the ketostix as well,,,if for no other reason than the positive reinforcement. I have found that they are usually darker first thing in the morning. I never drink enough water and they are never dark purple, but I consider any shade but none a plus!!
One question though,,,,a gal at work said her moderator told her that if you eat much fat,,,that will show up as the fat being burned on the stix, instead of fat reserves, That bummed me out some, especailly when I eat cream cheese!

Anyway, to each his own,,,,,,I hate to weigh, cant take the disapointments of the daily fluctuations,,,but I keep the little bottle of stix handy!! Whatever it takes to keep us going, right??

Cya lighter!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 12:00

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default KetoStix in the evening...

I love the KetoStix because I am a person who likes to see concrete things in front of me. However, I found out it was a waste of time to test several times a day since it fluctuated so much.

I'm not sure where I read it, but ketone levels are highest in the evening, and lowest in the morning. So, I tried it out and discovered that indeed, there is a pattern. I seldom show ketones in the morning, it is iffy during the day, but generally, if I test just before going to bed I'll get a nice solid reading.

Try it. Quit wasting the strips during the day and do it once in the evening. Should get better results.