Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 07:52

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%
Unhappy I'm so glad I got a food scale yesterday.

I finally gave in and got a digital food scale yesterday. Seems like I've been underestimating the amount of meat I've been eating.

So I'm so glad I got this thing! When you are nearing your goal weight, it's pretty important to know exactly how many calories you are eating, you know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%

CALORIES? Aren't we suppose to watch the CARBS?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:23

Yes, watching carbs is imperative. But if you eat too many calories, you will pack on the pounds instead of losing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:29
Registered Member

I was under the impression to eat sensibly and worry only about CARBS. Certainly, the amount of carbs have to be twenty in Induction...but you can easily go over that with calories with a juicy steak, salad with regular dressing, bacon, eggs, a tuna salad ....are you sure we should count calories....???
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:36

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I count calories. One piece of LC cheesecake is only a few carbs but (the one I made) 400 calories. I think you have to watch both. By eating protein and veggies, it's hard to go over a ton of calories, because it fills you up so fast, but also when there's not a lot of weight to lose, I think you need to count both. THere's a lot of people who disagree, but that's my opinion.

I also use my food (formerly postal) scale ALL the time.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:38

Yup, another good example is nuts. They're loaded with calories. If I don't count em, I can finish the whole bag before I know what just happened! lol

Mostly I try to concentrate on eating whole food that fills me up sooner.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:39
Registered Member

I posted a new post about it..maybe we can get some further information. I went to the book and it said to COUNT CARBS not calories...
I know where you are coming from...I am just curious and determined to stay with my 20 carbs, but I don't want to over do it either....I so much want to do this right and get rid of this other person I am carrying around.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:42

Stats: 187/167/143
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am someone who will have to start counting calories - I didn't in the beginning, but now I love eating my new foods and menus so much I am getting into very bad overeating habits.

After reading so many posts on here, I know that is the reason I haven't lost any lbs in ages.

So its either counting calories or being very strict and measuring portions.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:45

Dr Atkins said in his book to eat until you feel satisfied. So if we stuck with that, counting carbs alone would be no problem lol. Unfortunately, sometimes I can't get enough of my juicy steak, or curry chicken, or cheese, so I can easily overeat if I don't watch out.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmums
I posted a new post about it..maybe we can get some further information. I went to the book and it said to COUNT CARBS not calories...
Granmums, don't fret! You do not have to count calories You are just starting off, you just need to be sure you're choosing good carbs and keeping track of them. If you look at serrelinds stats under her name you'll see that she is close to her goal and that she weighs a lot less than you right now - therefore her body needs a lot fewer calories to survive, so she's being careful.

Make sure you're eating responsibly, as you said, and not skipping meals and chances are you'll never have to count calories

-Nat
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:50

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default scale

Yes. I to count calaries. Even atkins saids calaries do matter.
Try counting 1 day and i bet you will be shocked on how many calaries you have in day even if carbs are 20.
Iam looking also for a very good scale. I have a reall small one. for stamps but i want a better one.
And even with atkins you can get to much protein and that can add weight and stall .
I try to get up to 1200. to lose. In fact i did a test in Southbeach diet and iam Calarie senative. meaning for me to lose weight i have tostay around 1200
I still am doing induction.and will be doing it for 7th month sept.1st.
I write everthing down and it works for me. i will count calaries it helps u know. You can not eat more calaries then u burn..
janet
calaries do matter and so do the carbs you eat.
If writting down does not help u are you dont want to up to u.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:19

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I really think it depends on you and where you are on your weight loss journey. If you are not counting cals now and things are working-- great! I've recently found I need to count calories and stay within my 10-12 times goal weight calorie range. I also need to stay at 65-70% fat and 25-30% of my cals from protein to loose consistently. I just discovered this and it really seems to be working for me but, but who knows, that could change again in a few weeks! But yes, some people do count calories and need to in order to keep loosing.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:56

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I rounded up my scale today!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:13

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default scales

Were did you get yours??
I have small one. that u do stamps with . But been using since i started. atkisns.6 months a go.
But i like a really good one that weights food to the number.
I couldnot find one at walmart.. I really think it helps to weigh food. mosty meat. But when u are out and have to eat . I use the inside of my hand. . and it comes to 30z. like a deck of cards..
I eat 4 oz. of chicken breast. cut in sprips. and that comes out to 4.
Iam now making reg. hambers lean. for me. will have 4 oz and 2 cups plain salad grrens. with dressing.
I also found to that for me to get more water down. I use 2 straws. i get more down.
Aslo when we have email buddies to do atkins with thaat helps. I neee help to get back into exersicing and staying with that.
I will weigh in Sept.1st.for that will be my 7th month. still induction. 20 carbs or less.
lets see if what i have cut out this week and next will help. this has been very slow.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 17:36

janet, I got my digital scale at Target for like $30.