Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 10:57

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 184.2/179.4/135.0
BF:36 BMI
Progress: 10%
Question 20 grams on induction

I've been on Atkins since Monday and have lost 5 pounds already which I am so excited about. I've spent many hours trying to learn the program and have come to realize that I think I'm already off on the wrong foot. Is it true while on induction that your limit is 20 grams of Carbs? I don't think I'm hitting 10 grams some days. Is this good or bad? On pg 136-137 in my book under the "First Life Changing Week" it says to eat nothing that is not on the list. Am I expected to eat up to 20 grams everyday or is eating under okay? Let me give you a sample of yesterdays intake: Breakfast: 3 cups of spiced eggnog coffee with 3 tbsp 18% cream (one per cup) 2 eggs scrambled in 1 tbsp butter with 1 ounce shredded part skim mozarella and 5 slices regular bacon. Lunch: I think was 2 ozs of Havarti cheese (I was still satisfied from breakfast) Dinner: Roast Beef (plenty of it) with 2 loose cups of lettuce with one tbsp of Kraft Peppercorn Ranch dressing and for a snack I had 2 more ozs of Havarti cheese.

If I have to eat 20 grams of carbs where am I going to get them if I'm on induction since the list is primarily proteins? Also I just started testing my ketones and they are starting to show a trace.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi there,

I think you're refering to Dr. Atkins' first book, Diet Revolution, pub. in the early 1970's. That is an excellent program, it still works just fine. However, Atkins published his New Diet Revolution in 1992, with a recent update in 2001. In the decades since his first book, he determined that the program is just as successful in the early weeks if a person consumes up to 20g per day in the form of low-carb vegetables and salads. Generally speaking, if a person were to follow the original program as written, and added carbs each week .. eventually you'd catch up and be at the same level as a person following the newer version at OWL (ongoing weight loss).

From a purely technical perspective, you will not do yourself physical harm by eating fewer carbs, or even no carbs. But why would you want to? Vegetables and salads will add variety and interest to your meals, as well as fiber and flavour

Check out Atkins' official website .. http://atkinscenter.com/ .. There's a section on Induction and updated food lists for the new version. Note, if it's not on the list, you don't eat it for the 2 weeks of Induction. Another feature of the updated version is the concept of "net carbs" or you may see members on other forums refer to "effective carbs" or ECC. This means you can subtract the grams of fiber in a food from the total carbs listed. For example, broccoli has 2.5g total carbs in ½ cup, and 1g fiber. So, you would count 1.5g net carbs for the broccoli Fiber is not absorbed, therefore it does not contribute carbs or calories, nor does it cause a rise in blood sugar or insulin.

I recommend you get your hands on a copy of Atkins updated New Diet Revolution. Very likely your library has a copy you can borrow, but the paperback version is cheaply available just about everywhere.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:58
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

This tells you what you are allowed in induction:

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Also, you should be aware that you are eating carbs you seem to be unaware of.

each egg = .6
each oz cheese = usually has 1 carb
each cup of coffee/decaf/tea = 1 carb per 8 oz
half and half or heavy cream - 1 tbsp -1 carb
artifical sweetners - 1 packet - 1 carb
dressings (high fat like caesar, ranch, blue cheese)- 2 tbsp = 2 carbs

It's fine and under limits but you do need more healthy fiber. Eat more veggies!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 13:45

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 184.2/179.4/135.0
BF:36 BMI
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Thanks doreen T

You're right, my version of Dr. Atkins was printed in the 70's. I went to the website you suggested and printed out the acceptable foods list. I'm glad to know I can have more veggies; I sure missed them at my meals. How about pork rinds since they are 0 carbs?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 17:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

Eat your vegis!! It also helps with the big "C" that a lot of people experience on low carb eating.
Go for a large salad with protein for lunch and good green vegis with your protein dinner.

also there are carbs in cheese, eggs, etc. so don't forget to count them. use fitday.com to calculate what you are eating.