Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 21:23

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Post May I introduce myself...

Hello, I'm from Va. Beach, VA. This is my first time doing the Atkins WOE. I have tried WW for over 2 years. Would have good success, then go on a carb/sugar binge and gain it back. My Dr. suggested WLS (weight loss surgery) and that really scared me. I started to read up on the Atkins plan and had a lot of the symptoms related to blood sugar. After doing bloodwork, my Dr. gave me the go ahead to do Atkins. He was very encouraging. He is impressed with the newer version.

I started induction this Monday and have lost 8.5 lbs. in 3 days. In the past I couldn't lose that much in a month ! I can't believe that I'm not hungry or craving sweets. I realize that later on down the road, and I have a long road to travel, that I am sure to meet those monsters again, but for now, this is truly amazing.

I have a few concerns. I am feeling very tired and somewhat weak. Want to sleep a lot. I eat 6 small meals a day and stay under the 20 carbs. I am taking lots of various supplements. Do I need potassium? Is it ok to eat late at night, like now, 10pm if I am feeling hungry? Also, I read in a post that you can expect to lose 10% of what you need to lose in the first 2 weeks. For me that would be 21 lbs. Is that safe?

Thanks for listening and sharing with me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Hi!

Welcome to the Triple Digits Club! You are off to a great start!
Keep up the good work and check in as often as you can to "recharge" your motivation.

Results like yours help keep the rest of us motivated.

Again, welcome!

BrewWa

PS Forgot to answer your questions.

Being tired is normal the first few days. It will pass.

I personally avoid eating late at night. After dinner, I'm usually not hungery.

yes you need potassium (amount escapes me now).

As for losing 21 lbs, see Kenny's Journal. He's lost 50 lbs in 3 months. As long as you are getting your nutrition, you should be OK.

Cheers!

Last edited by BrewWa : Wed, Apr-09-03 at 21:48.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 08:19

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Off to a good start

Hi Chloë Mae, welcome to this forum and the Triple Digits club.

You have made a great start and I wish you continued success. Your questions have already been answered in the post above and I agree with the sentiments expressed.

I wish you continued success, and if you do manage to lose 20 pounds in the first two weeks, don't worry if your body takes a week out before you loose more. Whilst it is healthy to lose all that in one go, as a lot of it is water, your body does need time to adjust to the new you before it lets go of more weight.

I've been living this lifestyle for 20 months now and really love it.

Every success.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:53

Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Chloe Mae

So glad to welcome you to this forum. All the people here are so helpful.
I'm glad your doctor suggested you try this. I was not able to loose on the typical low fat low calorie diet either. I have been doing Atkins since the 2nd week of January and have lost 25 lbs. and I'm not hungry. Hope to hear form you often on this forum.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:57
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi and welcome.... i'm so glad you are giving this healthy way of eating a try before the surgery.

I have found this to be the most amazing way to eat in my life. Finally I can eat whenever I am hungry (and I am hungry OFTEN) to satisifaction without guilt and still slowly get to my goal weight.

I wish you all the best here!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:25

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Cool hello!

Welcome to the forum and to the Triple Digits Club, Chloë Mae!

I also turned to LCing when my doctor suggested surgery...well, that and the fact that I could barely walk... But I'm so glad I gave this a try because I feel great and am so much happier now.

Good luck to you on your LC journey! You're in good company!

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:52

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

That's great news that you have your doctor behind you on this WOE! Couple that with all the folks on this board, and you can't ask for a better cheerleading squad!!

Rah Rah Rah! Go Chloe Go!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:05

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Welcome!

Hi Chloe Mae

Just wanted to reassure that what you're feeling physically is not unusual. You are, after all, switching your entire metabolism to a new system! I'm starting my 5th week of low-carbing & still get quite tired at night. I'm rarin' to go during the day though!

Regarding supplements, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution has quite a bit of info on supplements. He recommends extra potassium if you're experiencing leg cramps and/or hypertension. I'm not sure that would help your fatigue. This quote from the Atkins website might help explain some of your symptoms:

Quote:
But the real reason you'll need vitanutrients is because of the way you've likely been eating for years, or because of the low-fat diet that you may be following even as you read this. If you have been on a low-fat diet, your need for supplementation may be profound. You will have to play catch-up to make up for possible deficiencies of essential fatty acids, vitamin B12 and the fat-soluble vitamins A, D and E. Several minerals are also in short supply on virtually all low-fat diets. If you've been bingeing on junk food full of sugar and bleached flour, then you've been consuming anti-nutrients, and your nutritional needs are even greater. When you eat such foods you're doing more than just depriving yourself of sufficient supplies of important vitamins and minerals. Metabolizing those empty, refined foods uses up what little stores of nutrients remain.

It looks like you're doing great... keep it up!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 17:16

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Just want to say hello

Hi Chloe Mae,
just wnted to say hello, and let you know that you are welcome, I am just on week two induction, but know this was the best decission I have ever made(but don't tell the wife that!!)

Here you will find all the support you will need, and congratulations on your wieght loss.

All the best.

Graeme
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 17:28
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Chloe Mae,

Welcome to the Triple Digits Club. I started out at exactly the weight you are now and this way of eating has worked very well for me -- I have lost over 75 pounds in nine months without ever having to endure hunger pains. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full.

Expect your weight loss to slow down after the first couple weeks. I'm a 45-year-old woman going through menopause and I am not averaging a loss of about 7 pounds a month. Also, expect that if you have a big loss in the first week or two you may go a couple of weeks before you start losing again -- that is totally normal.

It's normal to feel tired in the beginning, but if you are not feeling better in another week you may have to add a few carbs or calories to what you are eating. Those of us with a lot of weight to lose need a fair amount of fuel just to keep our bodies going. It takes a little experimentation in the beginning to figure out what your body needs.

I have found that eating in the evening slows down or stops my weight loss. I usually have a good dinner between 7 and 8 p.m. and try not to eat after that.

Keep posting and asking questions -- this forum is a wonderful place to find support and information.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 21:51

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Greetings, and welcome! You've come to a great place for support and encouragement, and you're off to a terrific start -- thanks for letting us share it with you!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 06:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi there Chloë Mae

Firstly welcome, I'm so glad you found us and you are posting in our little community!!!

Congrats on the weightloss to date and on getting that feeling of control over your cravings - its a million $ feeling isn't it!!! just wait till your skin glows, your nails and hair improve and you start seeing the world like a fog has lifted (well thats how it was for me and I hope it happens for you) oh and the energy .... wow the energy boost is amazing when it finally hits.....

Everyone has given you the advice I would give about the tiredness and suppliments so I won't repeat it, just welcome and hope to see "less" of you around here (more frequently of course)

Fiona
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Stats: 560/510/220
BF:
Progress: 15%

Welcome!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:39

Smile Grateful....

for all your welcomes and encouragement.

Thank you for sharing and caring about me with this new WOE.

Today is the start of my second week and I am down 12.5 lbs.

For me, that is sooo unbelievable, that it has me kind of scared.

I know it will slow down, but boy what a beginning !!!

You people are the BEST !!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:40

Lightbulb

Wow, I get to go and change my stats.