Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:19

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Is appetite loss normal?

I'm finding that now in my 3rd week of Atkins, I have very little appetite. The thought of meat even when I"m hungry just makes my stomach turn. I have to choke down the water, and except for a few snacks and heavy dinners, I just am not interested in food. It's a struggle when I feel really hungry to find something that I want to eat.
Has anyone else noticed this? How did you get over it? Or deal with it?

Please dont' say eggs...egads I am tired of eggs.

I'm not craving carbs...I don't want *any* food, actually!

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/133/119 Female 5'3"
BF:?/34%/?
Progress: 50%

I am having that same problem.....find myself only eating a small meal each day like ham rollups, and thats it! I know that it isn't good for me but I have ZERO appetite. HELP!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Since years ago when I had great success with Atkins, this has been a "problem" that started around the end of week 2 for me and occured off and on. I KNOW you are going to say, just as a read, no way can I choke down food, but its what I personally have found works to pick my appetite back up.
First off, breakfast. I've always been a skipper. But, this time I wanted to go as strictly by the rules as I could. DANDR says never go more than 6 hours without a meal, even if its just a simple, small protein snack with your supplements. So, every morning I have 2 eggs scrambled with my supplements. Every single morning I woke for like the first 4, I thought O M G, the last thing I want to do is eat right now. But, I cooked them, sat down, took a few bites at least and found once I got a few down, my body got interested in it. So now, I feel hungry in the morning, about 1/2 the time, but I eat no matter what. I've had a very nice consistant weight loss doing this. I make sure I eat 3 times a day no matter what as well. I want my body to come to expect I WILL feed it and therefore not try to reserve anything
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:47
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

I guess it just goes to show how effective lc is when dieters are complaining about NOT BEING HUNGRY ENOUGH! Unfortunately, I never have that problem.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 19:07

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

I have a hard time too.. I eat more than I want to just to make it to 1050 cal's per day.

Eating breakfast helps tons!
I do a LC Dannon carb control yougurt or several slices of bacon.
Sometimes I eat cucumber spears.

I try to eat something that seems quick and easy when I wake up so that my matabolism is kickstarted.. for somereason if I eat w/ in 45 mins of waking up, I seem a little hungrier througout the day than if I don't.

hope it helps,
Carina
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 19:34

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yes, loss of appetite is normal but you must eat atleast 3 meals a day. Reduce the serving sizes but eat. This diet works only as long as we eat. This happens as some believe because of ketosis but I believe it is from not having spikes in the old insulin and drops in the old sugar. Protein is a stabilizer.

Now that these things are stable in my system, hunger is not as intense and I fill up on 1 plate of food instead of 2 or 3. I call this a kinder, more gentler hunger.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 23:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 117//! Female 5'3"
BF:

I too, have seen my appetite diminish! But, I LOVE IT!!! I've always been sooooo hungry, however now I've been able to be in control of my cravings instead of them controlling me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 01:42

Stats: 210/190/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has experienced this. Yesterday I went for all you can eat Japanese food & all I had was 2 bowls of miso soup, a couple pieces of salmon sashimi, & an oyster motoyaki. One of my friends asked me, "Is that all your eating?" and I told her, "Yeah. I'm totally not getting my money's worth today, but I just can't eat anymore".
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 02:29

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%
Thumbs up

and except for a few snacks and heavy dinners

I could be wrong but maybe its the "heavy dinners" that are turning you off

Atkins says not to overdo your eatting at one meal to space it out and NOT to eat too much just enough to make you full not stuffed

try cutting down on the HEAVY DINNERS and snack every 3 or 4 hrs instead
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 04:10

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question

I also find that I do not want food - this presents a problem because from what I have read I need to eat at least 3 meals every day and it is important that my calories don't drop too low. But when you don't feel like eating what can you eat?

I love raw vegetables and happily nibble away at them during the day - but they are low in calories. Is my body happy that I am eating all day even though the calorie count is low or do I have to change the food I eat to make the calories add up so that my body doesn't think it is starving.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 05:31

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I think we all go through periods of cyclical hunger or lack of. It is perfectly normal not to feel hungry sometime. Listen to your body. If it doesn't want food, don't force feed it. I guess I am in the minority when it comes to this issue, but I usually trust what my body is saying. I think eating when you're not hungry or have no appetite it is like abusing your body. Right now I'm going through a period of no hunger/appetite as well and that's fine with me. I doubt I'd go into starvation mode any time soon. I personally think the words "starvation mode" is thrown around way too easily on this board. My view on this used to be different, but after researching on the topic of "fasting" I realized wow.. I had no idea fasting was actually good for the body sometimes. Never again will I tell a sick person (who usually has no appetite/hunger) that they should eat. I'm not saying that you're sick. Only that you need to listen to your body.

Just my 2 cents.

Serre
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 05:56

Plan: prot/low carb-ketosis
Stats: 12/08/04 Female 64
BF:
Default Serrelind

Hi, I noticed you didn't have a lot of weight to lose. I don't either. How long did it take you to lose 16 pounds? I only want to lose 20 at the most.

Thanks, Kim

Last edited by kim532 : Tue, May-25-04 at 05:57. Reason: Forgot name of person
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:17

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Kim,

I lost 17 lbs in about 2 months. I basically ate only when I was hungry (but not to the point of feeling "full") and I exercised like a maniac -- 2+ hrs at gym every day. I was impatient to get to goal weight as you can see LOL.

Serre
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:51

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

Doesn't Dr. Atkins write in his book DANDR...that a decrease in appetite is perfectly normal...when I was about 1 month into this I had to remind myself to eat. I have a better appetite now, mostly because of my increased food choices. Alot of time though when DH is hungry I am saying, I don't really want anything.

So, it is normal...something that I did for the "meat ughsss" was to make a LC Lasagna or a LC pizza....
Also this is a good meal.
1/3 cup ricotta, 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, some cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon of parm, 1/4 cup of mozza, 1 egg Mix all together and microwave for 3 mins, stirring every minute. Top with lc spagh sauce.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Oh yesssss.... Today is my 14th day of induction (see ma? no cheating! ) and it's really, really hard too eat. I agree, break it down into smaller amounts. I'm kicking myself today; I forgot to bring something for breakfast and have to wait till lunch. So I'll only eat twice today.

I, also, have decided not to force feed myself. I'm making a renewed effort (well, after lunch ) to eat many smaller meals with plent of fat & veggies throughout the day, but I'll be listening to my body tell me when it's done.