Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Question Manufacturers and Net Carbs!

Okay... something seems a little off to me about all these pitas and tortillas and whatnot that are claiming to be low carb.

An example: Mama Lupe's Low-Carb Tortillas
Ingredients: water, whole wheat flour, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), soy fiber, soy protein, ............

These products are all still using flour and then tossing in lots of fiber to bring down the "net carbs" number. Sure, I'm getting lots of fiber in one of these tortillas... but I'm STILL ingesting a bunch of flour!!

I think I might avoid these for a while... they seem only appropriate for maintainance to me. Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:16

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Yep I found some a few weeks ago. Loved the taste of them... OMG! Ate like 5 in one night. Next day read the ingredience, Bleached flour, (some form of sugar in it) and oh yeah Soy flour

As if that will help. And I wondered why my belly was flip flopping!!! No more. And I always read labels!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know, my philosophy is, if I stay within a certain range of carbs, I don't care if there's 2 carbs of flour or sugar in something. I can probably burn up those 14 extra glucose molecules by fluttering my eye lashes. The fiber is great, need it for sure.

Having said that, I also have to say I LOVE making burritos with large lettuce leaves for the wrapper. Its pretty yummy.

What I am a little concerned over is a label on some Keto ice cream which said something like:

Carbs 20
Fiber 4
Sugar 2
Other carbs 5

------------------

Now I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what "other carbs" means.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

I try my best to stay away from those products, however there are times when you want to eat something "normal" but not go completely off. A few weeks ago, I made Tacos....I bought some Chef Garcia Tortillas because the store didn't have LaTortilla, this was my first time buying tortillas, anyway, the tacos were great. I had one Tortilla (one soft taco) and then I made a taco salad,
I felt that it was fine to have the one, but I know I can't eat all of it that I want just bc it says LC.
Same way with all the other products, including the LC ice cream
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Rocky_cdn found some wonderful tortillas at a low carb place, that had 5 carbs per tortilla. I found them to be absolutely delicious, and one was very filling (put in tuna with melted cheese). Not sure about everythign else popping up on the market - my theory is don't touch the stuff, the marketing is deceptive!