Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:28

Plan: less than 20 grams
Stats: 156/147/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default nutrasweet..nitrate etc

hi
been on INDUCTION x 7 weeks this week
lost 9 pounds
becoming discouraged thought it would have moved faster ...for the last 2 weeks nothing....i drink only diet rite no nutra...but i enjoy sugar free jello ( it has nutra sweet where do you find non nutrasweet jellooo
and what is wrong with nutra sweet on adkins
nitrate free bacon again what is the reason and i have looked every where can't find this either
becoming discouraged with the slow progress
any help would be greatt
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:39
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Post Fyi...

sugar free jello has nutrisweet. diet rite has sucralose. artificial sweeter is artificial sweetner.. lol. It's a sugar substitute and can potentially lead to cravings depending on the person and the amount(s) injested.

the ONLY place I've ever seen nitrate free bacon is at a whole foods store. most stores only carry the pre-flavored/multi-chem'd bacon. I was able to buy 1.5lbs of nitrate free bacon for around $8, and it was YUMMY! pretty thick too!

good luck
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

Don't get discouraged! It could be a lot of things. How much water you getting? Do you know your percentage of fat that you are eating? You can use www.fitday.com to run a day's meals though and get an idea.

AS affect certain people. You'll have to see if you are one of them. I don't know all the details, but I do know that sometimes when your body tastes something sweet (even if it's an AS) and it pumps out insulin to prepare. This can cause you to gain or stall. Experiment by eliminating all AS for 2 weeks and see if you start losing again. Dr A recommends Splenda if you do use it so Diet Rite is a good choice. I didn't save it, but there is a recipe floating around that has you get unsweetened koolaid, plain gelatin and add spenda for a jello type product w/Splenda. You might try a search in the recipes section.

Here is was the atkins site says about AS. http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/f...dex.html</font>

What kind of sweeteners do you recommend?
A main goal of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM is to stabilize blood sugar (glucose) and insulin levels through the restriction of carbohydrates. Sugar is a carbohydrate, so it is strictly limited. Controlling carbs naturally curbs sugar cravings. However, if you still crave sweets, we suggest you use a sugar substitute. The prudent, moderate use of artificial sweeteners is usually acceptable. But be aware that not all sugar substitutes are created equal. We recommend specific sweeteners that are safe and will not interfere with weight loss. Some people experience negative reactions to certain sweeteners, and the risk increases with the amount used. With all artificial sweeteners, the less used, the better.

Our preference is sucralose, marketed under the name Splenda®. Derived from sugar, it is non-caloric, contains less than 1 gram of carbs and doesn’t raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada since 1991 and has been thoroughly tested for safety and efficacy. In 1998, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved sucralose for sale in the United States after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted during the past 20 years.

Atkins Nutritionals has since reformulated all of its products, using sucralose, including the AtkinsTM Shake Mixes, AdvantageTM Bars and Sugar Free Syrups. Sucralose is approximately 600 times sweeter than sugar. Unlike aspartame, it is inert in the body’s digestive system, quickly passing through without accumulating in tissues. In addition, it does not lose its sweetness when heated, so it can be used in cooking and baking.

If Splenda is not available, saccharin is the next best thing. The FDA recently removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences’ statement that “there is no clear association between saccharin and human cancer.” It can be safely consumed in moderate amounts--no more than three packets a day. Sugar poses a greater threat to good health than saccharin does. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet ’n Low®.

Acesulfame potassium, also known as acesulfame K, another non-caloric sweetener, is approximately 200 times sweeter than sugar. Because it cannot be metabolized, it passes through the body without elevating blood sugar. The FDA has authorized the use of acesulfame K after evaluating numerous studies and determining its safety. It is sold under the brand name SunettTM.

We do not recommend the use of aspartame--sold under the brand names of Equal® and NutraSweet®. Also, during Induction, avoid natural sweeteners such as fructose, lactose or maltose.

Tip: Sugar substitutes have a synergistic sweetness. Mixing together tiny amounts of each mimics the sweetness of sugar better than a larger amount of any single one.

Here is atkins take on nitrates from his site.
http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/f...dex.html</font>

What are nitrates and why are they bad for you? And where can I find meat/bacon/cold cuts without nitrates?

Nitrates and nitrites are added to meats (such as bacon and cured ham) and smoked fish to produce an appealing color and inhibit growth of germs and poisons. While these chemical compounds are not themselves carcinogens, they can yield byproducts such as nitrosamines, which have been implicated in higher rates of cancer--particularly colon and gastric cancer--in animals. For this reason, we feel it is prudent to limit your intake of foods containing nitrates or nitrites. You can find nitrate-free products in health food stores and some supermarkets. Fortunately, an increasing number of nitrate-free meat products are available in stores or by mail-order including Coleman Beef (800-442-8666). Your local butcher or health food store may also carry nitrate-free products or stock them for you upon request.

I too have only found nitrate free products from a health food store.