Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%
Default Never had much faith in doctors...

and as time goes on it only gets worse. I attribute this to a slew of bad experiences starting from the time I was very young, and getting consistantly worse until I had my daughter and they nearly killed me... and Ive just stopped going unless its a dire emergency.

Hubby still goes, however, for a variety of things, and went yesterday specifically for a note for work... (Blue flu). Every few years I get my hopes up... that a new doc might be different, so I suggested that while he was there, he ask what the Doc thought about Atkins. Needless to say the response was far from what I wanted to hear.

His words were... "It's great for losing weight quickly and ok for about 6 months or so, but it isnt something that you can do forever. It WILL raise your cholesterol and is damaging to your kidneys long term."

*sigh*

Im NOT losing quickly (although hubby is) but that isnt why I decided to try Atkins. I know that over the years I have totally destroyed my metabolism, eating crap food, and only eating once per day. For me, the decision to do Atkins was a choice for my health, the first step in the commitment to a healthier me. I havent looked at it as a 'diet' at all, but a way of living/eating for the rest of my life. Food has never been my addiction... so giving up things hasn't really been an issue for me. Watching hubby lose faster than I am is discouraging, but I can even deal with that because I *feel* so much better. (Less the worst case of TOM munchies Ive ever had... )

But wow... that sure was a depressing thing to hear. How do you educate the medical profession? How do you tell a person that has X years of experience and 10 years of school that they are clueless? I've DONE the low-fat, high-carb thing before out of concern for health and I lost FASTER but I felt AWFUL all the time. Just an under the weather, blah, type feeling all the time. ONE MONTH of this WOE and I feel better than I have in 10 years. My body tells me this is a GOOD thing. Its so depressing that the doctor says it isnt.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:09

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I read somewhere that doctors only have to take one course in nutrition during their schooling. Not much learning going on there! Most of them do NOT know what Atkins is all about, therefore, they're like everyone else....they think all we eat is meat, cheese and fat. They don't think we eat salads or veggies. Check out the Success Stories message board here. You'll find PLENTY of people who have lost weight, kept it off, and have better health statistics than they did before putting fat back into their diets!

As for your husband losing faster than you are...that's just a fact of nature. But as long as you feel better, that's what's important.

Good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio381
Check out the Success Stories message board here. You'll find PLENTY of people who have lost weight, kept it off, and have better health statistics than they did before putting fat back into their diets!

Good luck to you!

*smiles* I have read them, and while I dont post often, Im addicted to this forum

Thank you for the well wishes! =)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 11:27
Registered Member

Stats: 323/293/200 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Willowsong:

I strongly advise that you keep following up with your doctor. There are simply too many other things not related to Atkins that can go wrong in life and a preventive approach is best. But more importantly, you also need to switch doctor's immediately. You need someone who you can trust and depend on, and someone who understands the facts before they render an opinion.

Also, I seem to remember that the Atkins book provides insight on how to deal with doctors who don't understand Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 11:36

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

My best advice would be not to ask people what they think of Atkins. What does it really matter what anyone thinks? It is none of their business. IF you are happy and you know it is working for you then why even ask the doctor for his opinion. He is just ONE doctor. He doesn't represent the entire medical community. I happen to have a doctor who suggested I go on Atkins. He is one of the doctors who has educated himself on this and is pushing for the food pyramid to be changed. I also know of another doctor who advocates this WOE....DOCTOR Atkins. He is a doctor after all. The medical community is divided on this issue too. So don't let what one doctor says put you in a funk. I think in life we usually know what certain people will say about things before we even ask them. For example I know my mother would criticize Atkins so therefore I don't even tell her. As far as she's concerned I'm doing WW. I save myself the grief of dealing with people who want to argue with me about what I do with my own body. If I were you I would start developing the "I don't care" attitude and apply it to all the people in your life that think they need to express their opinion about every little thing you do.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Get on the phone and call aroung until you find a doctor who understands the health advantages of a low-carb lifestyle. My physician has become a major fan of low-carb and is the one that suggested that I try the Atkins plan.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 326/230/220 Male 6 ft 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Educate your Doctor

Last advise I would ever give someone would be to discharge your primary health physician! Good health concerns so much more than just weight control or loss. If you are happy with your Doctor in other matters I would suggest a Intelligent discussion and stand firm on your desire to "TRY ATKINS"! The trying, if you follow the "Good Doctors" book and advise, will in turn make a believer of your present health care Doctor.

Not going to go into a lot of personal progress here but if you care visit my journal and you can follow the results achieved with a Doctor that was "Anti Atkins".

I weigh once a month at the Doctors have blood tests every three months and stay within a 1,500 to 2000 calorie a day intake. Keep carbs between 20 to 30. (65-70% fat, 25 to 30% protein and 5 to 10% carbs.)

Suffice to say this past month I was taken off all medication, weight loss of 79 pounds in 7 months with perfect blood results have convinced my Doctor there is room in his practice for Atkins.

Aside from the fact to purchase all new clothes became a necessity there has not been any downfall.

The program works. Perhaps faster for some but the positive results even if minor should increase the desire to continue!

These forums serve as a tremendous support for all concerned and if you search far enough you will find similar cases to yours with positive results and that will enable you to continue in your quest for better health!

Good luck and God Bless!!

Pursuit
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/202/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hey, i dont have much advice for you about doctors, but ive been working as a patient rep at 10 doctors clinics around our metro area and i have learned a lot about doctors. THey are smart creatures but when it comes to there own lives they arent always the best (ie ive seen lots of overweight doctors etc) At one clinic one of the doctors has a small belly on him, but nothing, i wouldnt even call him fat, BUT this is the weird part. He's a doctor so you think he would know how to take care of himself, but NO he spent like 2 grand joining LA weight loss so that he could lose 20 pounds. I guess you get some of that money back when you reach your goal, but i was blow away that a doctor would join a weight loss program. I mean, its just engrained in everyone that doctors know it all, Anyway, ive run into lots of situations where doctors dont know everything and ive worked with a lot of unhealthy nurses as well. Anyway, take it in stride and if you live in oregon. he he, I know a few really good doctors. Just thought i would share my observations.

OH yeah, one day i was working with a doctor and i asked him what he thought about atkins, i told him my dad was doing it (which he is, but i didnt watn to put myself out there) he said.. and i quote " there is a lot of controversy about all these diets today, but ya know, if your really overweight, its much healthier to get the weight off than to carry it around waiting for the healthiest way" Anyway, i thought that was very smart..

Okay.. off to eat dinner!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 19:07

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

I think most doctors are either 'unaware' of LC research or afraid of malpractice lawsuits if they advice patients to go on a LC diet...

Thats why I hear some people say when they go to their doctor with significant weight loss, all the doctor says, "Do whatever your doing.." instead of.. "stick with the low carb..."

However, if you do provide evidence, such as research and your own significant weight loss with a much better lipid profile then it will definitely peek his/her curiousity and may research it seriously.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 19:10

Stats: 219/219/165 Male 5' 10"
BF:

I happen to think Doctor's and Medicine in general, is just a bunch of BS. A "doing what worked last time" mentality.

The reasoning? You can't mathematically describe medicine. Not because it isn't physically based, but because the calculations would be unbearable. (Imagine trying to count all the different atoms in your body so you'd know how you'd react to a medicine!)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:43

Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Doctors are humans

I take a pro-active role with my doctors and my childrens doctors. I go to them for testing and advice but, ultimately, I make alll the medical decisions for myself and my family. And I make sure the doctor understands that all the health decisions are made by ME and not them. Doctors are not super-human and I dont expect them to be. When I get a prescription, I ask the doctor for several choices and then I decide which one I want. And then, I will go to the pharmacist and ask them also. So who cares if your doctor does not recommend Atkins? You are the only person that has an opinion that really counts. Trust your instincts and keep coming to this forum. There is more knowledge and experience here than you would get from dozens of doctors!

When I was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, my doctors advice was to "eat only half the food you are eating now". I decided to go back to Atkins and reduced my blood sugar from 330 to 120 within 3 weeks. The doctor was stunned and asked how I did it and I told him. He told me, "Hey it works well for you....keep up the good work"

And praise to you for keeping with the Atkins way.....you know that it is going to work for you and that is priceless.

Last edited by verniebird : Wed, Oct-01-03 at 20:46.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 22:08

Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!

When my DH went to his doctor for the first time after we started Atkins, I made out a menu of the foods we were eating and the quantity, and sent it along with him.
He said it looked good to him. I think he was surprised that the veggies were in there.
Most people I know think it is all meat and eggs.
DH is 60lbs lighter and his doctor has eased him off his blood pressure meds. It is wonderful to find one who will listen and work with you.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:11

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.=)

It was my husband that asked the doc when he went in the other day. It was just so frustrating to hear his response.

I know that I should be going on a regular basis, but its difficult for me. Some of the experiences that I have had with Doctors, would make your skin crawl if I went into detail, and it really just gives me a general mistrust. (Scary since Im planning on going back to school to get my RN this spring)

In the meanwhile, my hubby and 13 year old son have both gotten too small for their pants... my 5 year old daughter is more focused and not so tempermental, we are ALL feeling better, more energetic and not so grouchy. (Ok, losing so slow in comparison can occasionally make me grouchy =P)

Overall, I think this is the best decision weve ever made as a family, and I plan on sticking to it and letting the results speak for themselves.

Thanks again for all of your support. This forum is truly a blessing.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:01
Registered Member

Stats: 359/318/250 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think most people need to re-evaluate their outlook on Doctors. Doctors are not bad people...they are just people. They are no different than a Mechanic for your car. If you don't maintain your car and have a certified mechanic check it over every once in a while there is no one to blame but yourself when it breaks down. You are ultimately responsible for the longevity of your vehicle, the mechanic is just a resource/tool to keep it going as long as possible.

Doctors are the same...they only know what they are taught and the knowledge of experience throughout their practice. It is not the Doctors fault that what they have learned in medical school may be different than what you have learned through whatever school.

There are many doctors that have learned through experience that LC works for many people and they use LC'ing as a viable choice for many patients.

My advice...search around and find a mechanic that suits YOU...but most importanly...find a mechanic or else you are doing yourself a great disservice!