Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ketosis and Stalling

Atkins says in his book that if you turn the Ketostix purple, you're giving off measurable ketones.

This is chemical proof that you're burning your own fat, as he says.

If this is true, why do people in ketosis stall?

To be stalled means you're burning no fat (leave exercise out of the equation for a minute). The body's staying stuck.

If you're taking a 'stall food', e.g. Diet Coke, certain bars, shakes etc., to be stalled means no fat loss.

What if with these foods, you are still in ketosis?

If you are, Atkins says you are burning your own fat.

Yet stalled. Which means losing no fat.

If you're in ketosis, this means burning your own fat. If these stall foods leave you in ketosis, then the logical conclusion is that you will only stall for a period of time. Weeks and weeks of ketosis should surely force your body to give up a pound, or half a pound.

As you can see, Im a touch confused.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 21:34

Stats: 193/182/135
BF:30%
Progress: 19%
Question Talk about stalled.

I'm puzzled too.!! I have taken myself off most of my medicines which everone says will slow you down, but I have been on this Adkins Plan for over two monts and check my ketones regularly. Put the scale is not moving. I think The fat in my stomach is shrinking but how long do I have to wait.

How long have you been on this plan. I feel good but I want to look good and not die before I am old enought to draw ss. LOL

I am really disgusted to say the least. I am 3 pounds heavier than when I started. I hope someone will tell me what I am doing wrong. My husband is doing the same thing I am and has lost 20 pounds. What am I to do?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 23:03
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Atkid and Venetia,

First about those d----d ketostix. I truly wish that Dr A had never mentioned them!
All that a positive reading on the ketostix means is that you have been spilling ketones into your urine. That may or may not mean you are burning fat. It may simply mean that you are dehydrated, have drunk some alcohol or have just eaten a fatty meal.

So, please, forget about them. IMNSHO, they are a waste of time and money.

Quote:
I have taken myself off most of my medicines

Venetia, that sounds as though your doctor does not know you have taken yourself off your medicines. And that worries me.

You mention furosemide, among other meds, in another post. Do you know why your doctor prescribed this drug (a diuretic)? If you are trying to do without it without your doctor's advice, you may be seriously harming your health.

If you go to page 109 in your copy of the Atkins book (2002 edition), he mentions diuretics, blood sugar lowering medications and blood pressure medications.
He says, If you are currently taking any of these medications, you will need your doctor's help to adjust your dosages."

Your health is more important than a number on the scales. Please, see your doctor.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 08:06

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Beats me, Atkid
August 2001 - having lost on induction, spent months losing no weight , with purple sticks.

Since then, I reckon the sticks measured my excreted dietary fat.Havent bought any since. I think the sticks as recommended in DANDR are very misleading.

I think in my own case, the only indicator of ketosis is appetite suppression. when I dont realise its dinnertime, not hungry , thats the ( ahem , few and far between ) times Im getting it right.

Wish Id never heard of ketostix. Apart from the hassle of buying them in UK, have stressed my head off about them. After the first pot, I didnt buy any more.
IMO ketostix show -youre eating fat, eating too much, or in starvation mode. They dont show youre losing fat or in ketotis, not at all.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 08:59
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

IMHO if you're in ketosis but not losing weight, it means you're eating too many calories.

Yes, you are burning fat for energy (hence ketones) but still not burning more fat than you're consuming...hence no weight loss.

Is that a possibility?