Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 16:12
gcarefoot

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Hello I am a newbie with lots of questions

Hello,
I am new to this type of forum, but not to low carb diets.

I recently was on a diet from Dr. Maurice Larocque, which allowed me to stay indefinitely on a 500 calorie diet.

A family member, told me about Dr. Atkins diet, and I have just bought his book....sounds very interesting..... but I am confused.

In his old (yellow book) it states (at least this is what I have found out so far) that I need to stay on the beginning diet for 2 weeks (this is fine for me), but all I see in the book is Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Is Level 1 the introduction diet, and then the proceeding levels the ones I can go onto if I wish?

I also bought the New Revolutionary Diet book, and I have found that the foods are more exotic in this book, plus the introductory diet is called inductor or something like that(cannot remember what), but the food on it, is really quite exotic, cream cheese etc. and then later on he has said about different days. But it just states foods not snacks or beverages than can be drunk, or is this up to my imagination.

For now this is all my questions, but I definitely have lots more to ask.

Looking forward to helping others, and being helped too, I am in for the duration, cause I have lots of plans, need to lose over 60 pounds (even tho hubby says this is too much) and then I am hoping to stop smoking after this (once I have learned to eat properly (with no munching of sweets)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post Hello Gay

First of all welcome! I am new to this WOL and really not experienced enough to give much advice. But I would suggest first of all you do some reading.. I read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution,but there are many others. If you look on the right hand side of this page you will see a link that says -What low carb plan is right for me? It discusses various low carb plans and is very helpful. With Atkins which I am on you go through a 2 week induction. During this time you are allowed no more than 20g of carbs per day. After which you are gradually moving up adding 5 grams per day until you find the amount at which your body still loses and you are comfortable. This is only my 3rd week and I am doing pretty well so far. Good Luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome!

500 calories a day?! That is torture! I'm glad you're considering the Atkins program. It is *much* more pleasant. It allows you to work *with* your body, not *against* it.

If you decide to do induction, stay with the 'allowed foods' list. It's on page 122-126 of the Jan 2002 edition, or <a href="http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html"> here (link.)</a> You can't go wrong.

There are many meal and snack ideas in the 'recipe' section of the forum here.

Bonne annee!