Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 18:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%
Unhappy late afternoon cravings

I was wondering if anyone experiences the same thing i do...

I go through my morning and day and everything is great. No hunger and no cravings and i totally forget about food. then, out of nowhere usually an hour before dinner - BANG - have a little snack and i can't get satisfied. Then, after dinner - BANG - it happens again, i get cravings and again i can't get satisfied with my fats and proteins.

anyone experience this? and what could be the cause? it doesn't happen all the time. I would probably say it happens maybe once a week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 21:02

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I use to get hungry some in the afternoon... I use to just munch on some cheese or some turkey.... That usualy eased the cravings.. Mabe if you add a heavyer lunch it may help . or add a sf jello cup for snack or mabe some porkrinds.... porkrinds are carb free and acount for protein and fats and calories....

Hope this helped some.

Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 10:45

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lisa, by not eating throughout the day you let your insulin and blood sugar levels drop. When you do eat they will spike - it is this dropping and spiking that causes the hunger and the other feelings that accompany it (cravings, sleepiness, headaches, nausea).

You should be eating regularly spaced meals with adequate protein in the throughout the day. This includes breakfast The more meals you eat the better - frequent, smaller, meals will raise metabolism and stabilize your blood sugar and your insulin levels. You won't get those dips and spikes and you won't have the cravings.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 18:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

actually i am one one of those people who eat 6 meals a day but i find sometimes that around 4 p.m. when i eat my turkey and cheese, i don't get satisfied.

Honestly, what i find really makes it worse is when i open the almonds. i think if i stuck with the turkey and cheese, i would be o.k. But, if i decide to open the almond jar, my cravings seem a lot worse. Not cravings for carbs, just cravings for food.

I do well when i tell myself "no almonds till my evening snack!!" because when i eat almonds in the evening, i feel very satisfied and i don't keep going back to the gosh darn almond jar.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 20:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/153/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Exclamation afternoon hunger

I was getting the same way and now I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner and then if I'm still alittle hungry I eat a snack sometimes i need that evening snack and sometimes i dont but i make it pork rinds or if i want something sweet i get a sf jello cup. good luck