Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 06:37

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 173/160.8/126
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy Ketone sticks Purple but no weight loss

Help!!
Losts 5lb in my first week, 2.2lb in my second week but nothing in the third week. My Ketone strips are dark purple. Can anyone reassure me that the weight will shift.
I'm very motivated but get impatient for results!!
I have stuck to the diet strickly but wonder if I'm doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of is low carb soda's - probably have 1 to 2 pints a day (diet tonic or lemonade normally)
Any suggestions welcome.
Kaz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:52

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

7 pounds in 3 weeks is terrific! Congrats!

I have a sillly question for you How long did it take you to gain the weight you are now trying to lose?

Did you just lose a years worth of weight gain in 3 weeks? Be patient with your body, after all it didn't complain when you were putting weight on it, give it some time to work with you on taking it back off
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 09:18
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Ditto

I had no loss in the third week either. I just lost a half a pound today in my fourth week. Boy did I cheer when I saw that little 1/2 pound loss on the scale this a.m.

I think our bodies need to adjust and regroup before they will let go of some more weight.

I learned a few great tips from these forums.

1. Do you feel better? -- Then its working.

2. Is your skin clearer? -- Then its working.

3. Are your clothes bigger on you since your started? -- Then its working. (Take your measurements too, I just did. It will help keep you motivated when your body readjusts itself without showing you a loss on the scale.)

4. You are in ketosis? -- If so, you will lose eventually. Reread the Dr. Atkins book (I am on my third read and learn something new every time I read it.)

5. If you are exercising, you are building muscle which weighs more than fat so you may actually gain before you lose, but you will lose. (Read these fourms everyday and view other people's profiles and that will motiviate you. Their journals are great!)

6. Keep a positive attitude and don't give up. If you were a slow loser before on previous diets then you most likely will be this way too.

7. Drink more water than you think you need.

I too got really excited with the initial loss and then a little depressed when nothing the third week (even with working out 5 days a week.) Stay positive! We all know we didn't gain it over night. Oh yeah, don't cheat!

Way to go on the loss, stick to it, it works!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 10:03

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 173/160.8/126
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice - I shall go home tonight feeling motivated and not worry about it so much!

It took several years for the weight to go on so I realise that I mustn't be impatient for results.

I am measuring myself once a week and was overjoyed to find I had lost 2.5 inches off my waist in the first week.

I am excercising - only twice a week at the moment - I think I need to try and increase this and try to incorporate a little excercise every day.

Thanks again.

Kaz
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 10:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Just remember when exercising, you replace fat with muscle. Since muscle weighs more you may not see the scale move much however the inches will change
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 10:51

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

good attitude, Kaz! stick with it.

If your stix are dark purple, by the way, it means you aren't getting enough water. And yes, water, not diet pop.

I go through awful periods of impatience with the scale (I'm a super slow loser) and have found that weighing only once a month really helps--keep this in the back of your mind if the scale continues to torture you. One day, I actually plan on smashing my scale to bits and having a burial ceremony, the darned thing has been such a lifelong torture device!