Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 09:53
Rock, Ya'll

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/273/178 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Weight Loss and The Wizard of Oz

Hey Gang,

Here's a question that might be interesting. It has to do with goal setting and how we envision the journey we are on, which is something imho that's pretty important for those who know their diet will be a long one.

The metaphor from Oz of 'returning to Kansas' is an often cited one. In it we're trying to get back to a place we've already been, and a lot of folks find that kind of vision setting very helpful.

There is, however, another form of vision setting that runs very contradictory to that. I think it's best described by the quote, "Head West! Young man, Head West!"

That kind of vision setting recognizes that we can never really 'go back.' It seeks to chart out then a new territory, and I guess if applied to weight loss that would mean a 'new version of you' not a 'former version you.'

Anyone care to share then how they've firmed the vision of their dieting journey in their mind?

Are you going back to Kansas, or Headed West? lol

Last edited by J.K. : Sun, Jun-20-04 at 10:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 18:50
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

*laughs* I am headed west because i weigh less then i did at 12 y/o now so its all new to me
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 02:22
Brit Happens

Plan: x
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Heading West definitely- as all the times I've returned to Kansas I haven't stayed there very long Thus I have to view this journey as reaching a new place- permanence

Great thought-provoking post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 06:38
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Hey crysania - jec,

I have to admit that personality wise I'm a "Head West" type in almost all areas. I was a bit confused about this one in terms of weight loss - I guess because I can remember a time when I was in great shape. But in terms of goal setting since I know 'Head West' is true to my personality I'd like to envision things this way.

This particular metaphor comparison is I think used most frequently in terms of relationships and/or politics. In relationships, (when someone is in a bad one) - the metaphorical trip to Kansas means returning to a memory of a time when things were good. However, again, the alternative to that is the Head West thing.

I think it can also be described in terms of political persuasion. For instance, some folks would like to return to a simpler time - again when life might have been considered for them a better time. The 50's is often cited. Another person, however, would say hell no. I wanna see what it's going to be like in 2030!

I think I fall into that later group.

Just trying to get my mind worked around this though in terms of weight loss.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 12:18

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I love your metaphor choices. I'm totally heading west. Thats my personality type, but also because even though I have had healthier times in my life, I find that believing "The Best Is Yet To Come" in every area of my life (romance, career and health) is very motivating & exciting.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 13:22

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

great post! people do generally think back to a time in their late teens, early 20s when they were thin and thats where they want to be again. well, guess what. u can't turn back time. and once a woman has a kid or 2- your bellybutton will never look the same. people certainly need to make more realistic goals. im headed west. i've always been overweight- although, not always obese- and i want to be "average". so, this is new for me. im already in new territory, actually. ive never eaten- or attempted to eat healthy ever before in my life. this has been quite a roadtrip already. can't wait to see the pacific for the 1st time in my life
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 13:24
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have a literal journey and metaphor. I have my clothes basically by size in my closet. I always have a couple of things in there that barely fit. I also have at least one thing that doesn't fit at all.
All the 6X shirts came out, now most of the 5X shirts are gone, adding 3Xs to my closet (many of which I can wear) and only size 54 & 52 pants in there (was wearing 60). I get to move all the hangers down and make room for the smaller stuff at the back.
It's a physical reminder and almost a sort of ceremony that I have in creating these milestones in my head. It's been helpful.

H
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 19:12
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophical J. K.
There is, however, another form of vision setting that runs very contradictory to that. I think it's best described by the quote, "Head West! Young man, Head West!"

That kind of vision setting recognizes that we can never really 'go back.' It seeks to chart out then a new territory, and I guess if applied to weight loss that would mean a 'new version of you' not a 'former version you.'
....Are you going back to Kansas, or Headed West? lol
For me it's definitely Westward Ho!! I weigh less now than I have in over 17yrs. At goal I will be less than when I graduated HS at 165lbs. This is uncharted wilderness and I'm loving it!!

I have been on MANY diets in my life and was never able to lose more than 40lbs at the most and then fell off and balloned back higher than I started.

This is the first time I've ever LC'd and it has truly been a miracle for me. FINALLY I know how to feed my body the way it wants to be fed!

I am so looking forward to seeing the Horizon and living the rest of my life way out West!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. K.
Just trying to get my mind worked around this though in terms of weight loss.

A couple questions for you J. K. -
~When you were previously fit, was it a natural state, or did you have to work at it?
~If you did have to work at it, did you discover this WOE before?
~ Guess I'm just wondering if LCing and maintaining a significant weight loss by LCing is your West...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 20:55
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Hey everybody..

Looks like we have a bunch of adrenaline junkies in here.

All you "Head West" folks will make me feel right at home.. lol

Also to Terry, I posted a bit of my history in my gym log, but honestly I've been everything.

I was obese as a child. I can still remember me Mum having to drive 80 miles to Jackson just to find a store that could fit me.

In 7th grade I asked a girl to 'go with me.' She laughed (twas the weight), and that sparked a starvation diet that sincerely almost lead to anorexia. I went form having a 38 inch waist to a 27 inch waist in three months. In the end I was incredibly skinny. Also sheet white pale. I snapped out of that though after my family, not really knowing what to do, decided to pick on me a bit. After they did that I gained a few pounds back but still remained very thin throughout high school up until really my Sr. Year.

During Sr. Year a gym opened in town and that's when I first started lifting weights. I continued to lift them casually for about a year and a half until one specific summer when I was given a chance to be the workout buddy for my friend who was training for the Mr. Mississipi Bodybuilding title.

Well, over the course of that summer I bulked up quite a bit.. He also won the contest.. lol

And then after that I lifted in college and ran quite a bit as I played Rugby for U.S.M. for 4 years.

When I graduated from college then I was in great shape. And following that I ran heavily. First on pavement and then on the beach. For years it was normal for me to do about 3 miles 4 times a week.

During that time my weight did fluctuate a bit but I'd more or less stay in the 180's. We're talking quite a few years here.

Eventually, however, knee made it impossible to run. That was about 5 years ago, and my weight started going up after that. I have a sedentary job and I guess I should also add that I used to drink a lot (beer). I quit that several years ago thank Gawd (am in AA). But still that combined with a sedentary job and I guess just getting older or whatever - over the last 5 years I've just kinda gone to pot..

Anyway - hope that wasn't too long but over the course of 40 years then (my age) I know what it's like to be obese, incredibly skinny, and in shape.

Hoping hard this time I'll stick to the latter and stay there..
I