Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 01:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default would exercising (cardio) the last thing u do be4 u go 2 bed?

Since sleeping does not induce any fat burning, what about the exercices done in the evening, before you go to bed.
I do not mean little sit-ps, stretching etc...

I mean going to the gym, spinning, aerobics, etc....

Would that trigger some fat burning mechanism during the night?

Plus, since I am now trying to eat at least 1 or 2 hours before I go to bed.... (better digestion)

just wondering.........thank you...

Ciao
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:11

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You may find the hormones released during workouts so close to bed time disrupts your sleeping patterns. Then again you may be one of the lucky ones that sleeps like the dead. I could never workout with 2 or 3 hours before bedtime because I would be completely energized after the workout that I would not be able to sleep.

It doesn't really matter "when" you workout. Lifting weights tend to trigger fat burning long after the exercise has halted, unlike cardio exercises.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:46

BF:

Thanks for your reply <b>agonycat</b> (...??)

There is really no magic trigger.... just train, exercise and be happy...

Thought there may have been a way to get the fat burning to the max...

BTW, I am one of those who (aomehow) always have energy....all the time... wake me up in the middle of the night and in 30 seconds I am up and running....better than Duracell........

Ciao
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:46

Quote:
Thought there may have been a way to get the fat burning to the max

It's call weight training By building lean muscle tissue, your metabolism increases. Better working metabolism, more fuel your body will consume during 24 hours.

Cardio does not have the same effect on the body. Cardio conditioning has other benefits other than burning fat. It conditions your respiratory/pulmonary system to become more effiecent in delivering oxyen to the body.

Any movement increases calories burned for that day. Picking which ones that have the greater impact on enhancing your body's performance is the key to fine tuning a sluggish system into a rev'ed up one.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 09:19

BF:

arghhh... weight training..ok ok/...

Does it count if I walk with those little weight in my hands?

Is it sufficient to do the basic biceps/triceps (Arms) and the ab/ad/uctors for the legs?

I think I see what you mean (and it makes sense) so I will (re)introduce the workout with the weight machines in my trips to the gym

Thank youuuuuuuuu
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:02

It's funny we were just discussing this over in the BFL forum.

Go here for the read.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 23:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

Eva123,

I'm one of those unlucky people that are exhausted after exercise, so only time I can do it is in the evening. If I workout in the morning, my entire day is shot. I do about 60 mins on the eliptical treadmill and/or weights and within 15 mins after taking shower, I'm out cold. On a day that I don't exercise, it takes me a lot longer to fall asleep and I usually go to bed even later. So far it has been working for me as I am still shrinking. I think as long as you workout aerobically and anaerobically, you will increase your metabolism and burn more calories. I envy your energy.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
I mean going to the gym, spinning, aerobics, etc....

If you do hard cardio exercises (like intervals) for 20 minutes, your body will be burning fat to replenish fuel to your muscles for quite a while after you go to bed.
Do not do this if it interferes with normal sleep.

Alternate your interval routines with a weight routine, and your body will become a fat burning machine.