Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/220/110
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Ketostix

Hello

I got some ketostix today but i cannot understand the instructions. should i be more looking for the negative result (light color) or a darker color 8-16? these are the Bayer Ketostix

i hope this makes sense....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:50
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

The result should be positive - any pink color means you are in ketosis.

But those stix are unreliable, even Dr. Atkins says so. They only measure EXCESS ketones. You can be burning all your ketones and not passing any excess. Also there is no way of knowing if those ketones are from dietary fat or body fat.

There are better ways to know if you are in ketosis. There will be a bad taste in your mouth and the urine will have a strong smell. Dr. Atkins says if you are eating correctly and losing weight you are in ketosis no matter what the stix say.

The stix can 'go bad' and not register anything. They are very touchy.

IMHO you wasted your money.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 04:37

Stats: 250/220/110
BF:
Progress: 21%

sugar! pardon the pun!

and i searched high and low for them, at least they were not expensive!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 16:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/109/100 Female 58.5
BF:
Progress: 55%

suffering, Although everything in Barbs post is true, I used the ketostixs to keep me motivated thur very slow wt. loss. Gave me a visible sign I was doing something right. Good Luck, sue
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 17:06
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/???/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I agree with gudgul. I also use Ketostix. They've been reliable so far with me. They are just another way to keep from being discouraged.

A few things to keep in mind when using them though is

1.) They may come up negative if you've just worked out, because your body may have used up your excess ketones as fuel.

2.) For some people they work best at certain times of the day.

3.) Be sure to read the instructions carefully. Not following them properly could lead to an inaccurate result.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 21:21
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

I didn't use them at first but thought I'd try them & they can be encouraging at some points & discouraging at others. As previously mentioned, when you use them is the key. I felt great when the stick was dark & horrible when the stick was light! It is nice to be able to see where you are at as far as being in ketosis but if you test at the wrong time, the results can be false, which is not so nice! I guess you could use them at your own discretion but don't look too far into the results. Use your scale, your journal, and your tape measurer as your principal guides for whether or not you are suceeding and those Ketostix only occasionally. It can go either way.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 23:08

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi all,
Ketosticks are actually pretty reliable, and the expiry date is usually years...but you must remember to keep the lid closed tightly between uses. We use them sometimes in the hospital ER to give us a quick glance at someone...
Now, that being said...they can show up negative if you have been a good little low carber and consumed twice your weight in water...(joke)...and someone ahead of me said they test different at different times of the day...and that is very true. To find out when you test the darkest...test yourself frequently through the day, and then from that point on, only at the time of day.
I have never had a breath problem, and if I am drinking enough water...nor do I have strong smelling urine. I do find that if I am stalled, it is something that makes me feel more in control of things...as long as the stick turns even pink, I know I am on the right track. Everyone is different, and need different tools...so if it makes you feel better, and you like that confirmation that all is well in low carb land, then I say, your money is not wasted...every little bit helps...
Take care