Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 06:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Share your breakfast on the run ideas

Quite often on these boards we see people asking questions about what's a good quick breakfast on the run, or what to have instead of a "bar" when there's only a minute or so to eat.

What's your favourite quick way to deal with rushed meals? Sharing your idea might just help someone get over a rough spot.

I have 2 suggestions:

1. On Saturday mornings, if I make a crustless quiche, I usually make 2, cut them into single portions, freeze them in small containers or bags. They heat up in about 90 secs in the microwave, so are a great way to deal with the Monday-Friday morning rush. They are also a great way to use up stray veggies, cheese, meat. It's an efficient way to clean out the fridge before heading out grocery shopping.

2. Use your time effectively. When I cook dinner I also work away at getting meals for the next day ready. Extra salad fixings get put away for tomorrow's lunch. If you need to wait for something to cook, it's a good time to roll some meatballs and bake them up for future meals, get a pot of home made soup going, boil some cauliflower for tomorrow's faux mashed potatoes....(I figure if I have 4 elements on my stove, all 4 ought to get used )

Doing this as little as once or twice a week assures a constant supply of quick grab and goes.

Last edited by AngelaR : Sun, Jan-26-03 at 09:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/162/145 Female 69
BF:39%/30/26%
Progress: 60%
Default faux mashed potatoes

I notice that you make those cauliflower mashed potatoes. Are they good? Would a mashed potato fanatic like them? Do you put any type of gravy over them?

Also, as for breakfast on the run, I do egg & sausage "muffins" on Sundays and pop one or two in the microwave for about 20secs every morning. They're just right for me and I'm not a breakfast person so finding something I'll eat is really tough!
Recipe: 6 eggs, 1/8 cup of heavy cream, 3 oz shredded cheddar cheese and 6 brown & serve sausage links. Put one-half link in the bottom of each muffin tin (sprayed with Pam), add egg/cream mixture, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 mins. Each one has about 1 carb (I hope!) I'm still learning about carb counting!

#3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 09:18

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Thanks for contributing syboyce. Your muffins sound yummy.

As for the faux mashed potatoes, we love them. Even my hubby who is having trouble getting weaned off of carbs loves them. I haven't been able to get them completely smooth and creamy like real mashed potatoes..they seem to be just a bit coarser..but it adds character. No gravy is required. A pat of butter will do, or use the faux mashed potatoes underneath a stir fy or LC stew.

This morning I browned some finely chopped bacon till nice and crisp, warmed some faux mashed potatoes in the microwave, then put the bacon on top. Yummy.

For those that don't know, cauliflower is a real carb bargain. 1 cup boiled plain cauliflower pieces is about 2 gr carb after fiber is subtracted.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:56
Registered Member

Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I made the mashed cauliflower last night for the first time and I was in heaven! It had the same texture as mashed potatoes....I made it the same way I would have made mashed potatoes, too - with butter and heavy cream. It doesn't taste exactly like potatoes, but it's very good and definitely a nice substitute.

Yum!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:44
Registered Member

Stats: 188/162/145 Female 69
BF:39%/30/26%
Progress: 60%

Thanks for the info! I definitely have to try them now. I like cauliflower in salads and with cream cheese but I don't usuallly cook it. I guess there's a first time for everything!

#6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 14:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Breakfast on the go. I modified my friend's Scotch Eggs recipe to be low carb. This takes some time to prepare, but if you already have the oven on for a roast or chicken on the weekend, hard boil some eggs, then peel and wrap them in breakfast sausage (a little over 1/4 lb. per egg) and bake until browned and the sausage is cooked through. Traditionally, these are deep fried but baking works very well. These are wonderful and can be reheated quickly in the microwave or eaten cold.
Next time I think I'll try rolling them in crushed pork rinds or parmesan cheese instead of the bread crumbs called for in the recipe.
Another hint is to work with wet hands when wrapping the bulk sausage around the eggs so it won't stick to your hands.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Angela: great idea for a thread. I do the 'quiche' thing most weekends, too, but it rarely lasts 'till Monday morning!

If I'm rushed in the morning, I grab whatever appeals to me. If I'm hungry enough, I'll have hard boiled eggs, a piece of cheese, or leftover cold meat. I often don't have much of an appetite, so I'll just have a small amount of a protein shake or a few berries.

The key, for me, is <b>preparation.</b> I almost always cook more than I'll need for one meal, and I keep veggies and cheese sliced up ahead of time. If you're going to cook 1/4 of a cauliflower head or have one ounce of cheese, you may as well chop up the whole thing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:52
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

My fastest breakfast on the run idea: 4 slices of salami with a layer of cream cheese in the middle!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 08:04

Plan: Low Carb & IF
Stats: 180/129/110 Female 5'2
BF:?
Progress: 73%

My absolute favorite breakfast is done in two minutes or so!

I scramble two eggs in butter, then put half of that into a little bowl, put a slice of processed cheese on top, then add the other half of the scrambled eggs, and add another slice of cheese. To melt the cheese, I put the whole thing into the microwave for 30 secs.

Delicious!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 12:09
Registered Member

Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Talking

Do ya'll remember that dogfood commercial (Kibbles and Bits?? I think?) Where the dog is walking around sniffing and all the sudden catches whiff and screams "It's BACON!!"???? That's me! Every Sunday I fry up 1/2 pound of bacon and put in a Ziploc bag in fridge. Then most mornings all I have to do is a quick 2 egg scramble and arm the bacon about 10sec in the microwave. When I really feel driven, I'll pre-cook some hamburger the night before and have a bacon-cheeseburger scramble. On days I do that? I have to force myself to eat lunch..yummy..