Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 14:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default how do you make a protein shake

This title sounds like a joke - how do you make a protein shake - creep up behind it and shout Boo!
Seriously though, someone suggested I drank a protein shake in the morning before I exercise. Sounds like really good advice, but what do you put in one?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 14:51

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi jaykay

protein shakes usually come as powders which you make up into a shake. There are a lot of brands available, some with higher carbs than others. Health food stores and gyms generally sell them. Check the nutritional info before choosing though.

Usually they say to mix them with milk, but mostof us use water with a little bit of cream instead to keep the carbs down. I also add flax oil to get in some essential fatty acids. Other people also add berries. It's really a taste thing

hope that helps
Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:17

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 213/177/174
BF:
Progress: 92%

Actually to make a protein shake you have to buy it some drinks and tell it a few jokes first!

I make mine with a whey protein (chocolate) that has 25g Protein and 2g carb, 1 cup of soy milk 6g protein and 10g carb and a cup or two of water. I hand blend it and its great. I have them in the morning sometimes as a dinner it is great for a time saver. I have not made one with cream, but I bet that would be great aslo. I have friends who do it with just water too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 18:09

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

I posted a really good protein shake recipe in the "Breakfast Ideas" section of this forum under lowcarb recipes. The thread is called:

Best protein shake ever. You can use the serach tool if you have trouble finding it...

-Shelly
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:30

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%

I want to know what kind of protein shakes TASTE good.

I know there are a lot of varieties out there, but some of them are just so awful!

Does anyone know a really GOOD and TASTY brand/flavor?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 14:59

Plan: PP PLAN
Stats: 213/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Make it taste good

Take any powdered protein shake that meets your requirements. Put it in the blender , then start adding.

For example: To 16oz of water, I add 2 scoops of powder, a teas. of sugar free jello, throw in my fiber (to get that out of the way), add an egg, 2 tbls. cottage cheese or yogurt or tofu. Berries? Sure, if you can afford the carbs. Cream? couple of tbls. Why not?. Sugar free syrup-sometimes. Always keep in mind the number of carbs that you are drinking.

This is a pretty big shake but it holds me to lunch with absolutely no hunger pains. I'm not a breakfast eater (eggs and bacon) but I have no problems with this type of breakfast. This shake, I figure to be from 10-15 carbs depending on what I throw in.

Happy shaking
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 21:24

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

You should try the Exercise forums, theres alot of info in there about protein shakes..

And I buy the Whey Protien shake mix at GNC.. its 40grams of protein and only 5 grams of Carbs.

And before you workout is weird.. Most people say to drink it a half hour to 45mins AFTER you workout
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:29

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I suggested in Jay's journal that a protein shake before her morning walk would be BETTER then a glass of grapefruit juice for energy. Which is what Jay was drinking. So, I think a protein shake is much better replacement. Whether it before or after a work out, I am not any kind of guru on that, just wanted to help get rid of the glass of grapefruit juice for now.

Cindy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:57

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default Mochaccino LC-style

Gee- I hope the Starbucks police don't nab me for trademark infringement...

Every morning I have my version of the Mochaccino

1 scoop Designer Protein (whey) chocolate (2 carbs)
1 scoop Carbolite Chocolate shake
1 TBS Almased (just to up the protein count)
3 TBS heavy cream (~3 carbs)
3/4 C ice water
1/4 C really strong black coffee ( I keep a pot of really strong cold black coffee in the fridge at all times - strong like 4 TBS Folgers to 1C water)
1/2 C ice cubes

Frappe in the blender. Pour into Daiquiri glass and pretend you are on the beach. Or if you really want to irk Starbucks with their $5 drink - pour into large papercup and top with whipped cream and green straw!

Enjoy!

Nancy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 13:05

That sounds fantastic...Do you use the two different powders for a reason? Or could you use just DW kind if that is all you have? Also, what is Almased and where do you get it?

Cindy
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:16

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default multiple protein sources

Cindy,

Funny you asked. This is a result of many Frankenstein type experiments.

Carbolite tasted funny but has some great thickening power. Designer Protein (whey) tastes great but was thin at 1 scoop and I added Almased which is just another protein powder because it was lying around and I have about 6 cans of it. My husband uses it to gain protein without many calories. I bought in Germany but you can order it online. People suposedly use it on the Turbo Protein Diet but the idea of only drinking that I find a bit crazy since by itself it tastes like breast milk ( I swear it does).

Almased has no fat and very little carbs and only 35 cals per TBS and tastes sweet naturally. It takes the edge of the coffee which can make the whole concoction bitter. But you can simply add a packet of splenda if that happens.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:24

Thanks so much. I will try it with the DW, since that is all I have, and I will try to tweak it to get the proper consistancy. It sounds delicious though...

Thanks for the tips.

Cindy