Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 12:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Default Protein shakes - whats the deal??

I have been Atkins lowcarbing on and off for almost a year and i am pretty happy with what i eat. I have heard a lot of people say they have protein shakes, but i have never tried them, What are they like? Are they really low carb, are they for meal replacements like the (gross) slimfast milkshakes? Are they available ready made in the uk or do you have to buy powdered protein and add eye of newt and wing of bat yourself?

What are the pros of eating the shakes. I feel that i eat a good portion of protein in the meats that i eat, how can this help me? How many carbs is there usually in a glassful?

thanks guys!!!!

( i think its about time we had some more success stories posted don't you? they really help me to keep things on track)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 02:25

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation

Jacki

In some ways I would ask the same question as yourself. What I have noticed is that those who have these protein shakes often do so before they have a workout.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 15:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

well i went and bought a giant tub at holland & barratt - I have to say that i was a little disappointed, they where a bit slimy....

Maybe i will get used to them
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 00:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile H&B Protein Powder Shakes pretty good

You are quite right to just concentrate on getting your protein from real foods. It works out much cheaper too. Which tub did you get Juicy Jacki?

I use the powder variety more as an emergency always ready high protein food in case my planning has gone amiss for some reason.

H&B's strawberry/vanilla/chocolate flavoured protein powders are good. I mix a little bit of pure soya protein (which is yuk) to increase the protein content. You can mix with single or double cream - or water/tea if you are cutting down on dairy. More details in the LC foods in UK Supermarkets thread above.

Take care,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 01:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Protein Powder

Hi everyone

I've bought H&B Protein Powder before which is zero carb, and I understand that some branches have a half price sale on at the moment so you can buy a big tub for £4.99

It's great for baking recipes and I've also made shakes with it in the past. It's quite nice if you mix it with water, add some double cream and a little sweetener. To give it a more acceptable flavour I either add a few strawberries or some chocolate sauce and wizz it up in the blender. I know other people add crushed ice too. You could also try adding the DaVincis sugar free syrups for different flavourings.

I tend to use the shakes if I'm in need of a quick breakfast and find they fill me up till lunchtime.

The Keto Shakes are very good as you don't need to add anything to them at all, just mix with water and they're very thick and satisfying.

I do agree it's best to have proper meals but when you're in a hurry and need something quick, they make a good standby.

Hope this helps

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk