Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 15:39

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 152/149/135
BF:?
Progress: 18%
Question sugar busters in a nut shell

Hi,
I have been on Atkin's about 1 month. I am thinking about switching to another program. I find it is too strict. I need alittle more variety. I have read Atkin's and protein power so far. I try to buy 1 book a week to read so I will know what program I can follow. Could someone give me an idea how Sugar Buster's works? Thanks---------Angie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugarbusters
Stats: 288/244/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Sure!

Sugar Busters is based on the Glycemic Index, which measures the insulin response a food causes. You avoid those foods with high GI, and eat foods with low GI to keep your insulin levels down, and thus lose weight. The basic idea is similar to other low carb plans, just not as restrictive, but very effective. Foods that are avoided include white flour, sugar, honey, white potatoes, beets, corn, pineapple, watermelon, bananas, and any processed grains. You concentrate on whole grains, lean proteins, and fruits and vegetables. Its very important to read labels. Most processed foods include sugar in some form. Anything with more than three grams of sugar per serving is not ok. It is recommended you limit starchy carb food servings to two or three a day while trying to lose. Other than that, there is very little counting involved.

I hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 276.5/262.0/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

i trying sugar busters too after atkins i found when i had my last blood work done my bun/creatineine ratio was 25 instead of bet 6 and 20 so i am afraid that the all protein is affecting my kidneys so i have looked for a sugar busters website but it doesn't explain things very well and read ur post and was glad that u explained it so thank you
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/132
BF:42%
Progress: 8%
Post Hello all

Got the following information from Dr. Atkins site at Atkinscenter.com - FAQ Section.Are there any medical conditions that can interfere with a person's ability to do Atkins?
Before embarking on any weight loss program you should see your physician for a check up and to take blood tests for lipid levels and possibly blood sugar and insulin levels, which can serve as baseline comparisons once you lose weight. People with severe kidney disease (creatinine over 2.4) should not do any phase of Atkins, unless ordered to do so by their physician. Also, pregnant women and nursing mothers may do the Lifetime Maintenance phase but should not do any of the weight-loss phases of Atkins.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what is going on.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%

Okay, I've read the SB book and I am still not sure of two things...
1) how do you tell the glycemic index of a food, how is that determined? If it's not on the list is there a way to figure it out?

2)Most of the bread I find in the store has lots of "junk" in it, including some kind of sugar. What kinds of breads are you finding that are legal to this plan? I like to make my own, but don't always have time. I was just going to use whole wheat with vital wheat gluten to "fluff" it up some.

I had a subway sub on wheat the other day, do you think that was legal?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 276.5/262.0/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

i found organic bread that contains NO flour, No oil, No salt, and it easy to consume only 60 cal a slice i find it in the organic section or near the deli section of ur grocery store it is from california
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default bread

Hey haven't been here in a while! still SB! Both my kids are doing it too. I just haven't had a chance to read posts lately. Working my way back online!

I use Cape Cod Stone ground Whole-wheat bread.
Basically look for bread that is stone ground and has less then 3 grams of sugar.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugarbusters
Stats: 288/244/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Carianne...

The glycemic index of foods is the measure of the insulin response it causes. The GI lists don't have things like vegetables and meats on them, because their GI is negligiable. Mendoza's sight has a fairly complete GI, and there are a number of books that have it. Check your library for the books. On SugarBusters, you can do fairly well if you just avoid the no nos, and eat mostly veggies and lean proteins. Stay away from pineapple, watermelon, and bananas, and corn and potatoes, as well as the white rice, flour and all sugars. It really isn't too hard, and once you get the hang of it, it is a very easy diet to stick to.

When I buy bread, I get Natures Own Stone ground whole wheat bread. Read the labels, and if it has 100% stone ground whole wheat flour, with no enriched flour, and less than 3 grams of sugar per serving, it is ok. I make my own mostly, and use vital wheat gluten along with all whole wheat flour that I grind at a do it yourself grinder at the health food store.

The rolls at Subway are not 100% whole wheat, so they are not legal.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 17:51

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I buy Nature's Own as well, although I buy the no sugar, low carb one. It isn't stone ground; but only 7 grams of carbs with 2 fiber.
Any kind of pure rye bread is good as well (not the Pepperidge Farm type of Rye Bread). Look for German imported. No sugar.