Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:33

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up mainecottagefoods.com brownies

I just had two of their brownie mini cupcakes last night. They were excellent! I usually have Controlled Carb brand, but the ones from Maine Cottage Foods are really luxurious. I had one mini just out of the bag and the other one I microwaved for 10 seconds. The microwaved one was to die for.

I'd love to find what chocolate they use, it is the best I have tasted - and I have tasted a lot. I got the plain minis, which have chocolate chunks in them. They really make the brownies. I don't remember all the kinds off hand since I tend to go for plain chocolate. But I do remember you can add different kinds of nuts as the brownies are made to order. I still like the Controlled Carb brand for regular brownies, but the Maine Cottage ones may become my new favorites. The Controlled Carb brand ones are more the cakey type of brownie, more light. The ones from mainecottagefoods.com are small and dense, really rich. So I guess which one I get will depend on my mood.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Do you buy these online centikel? How are they sweetened? And what is the carb count? Thanks. We had the minicarb brownies from a mix and we thought they were awful. The texture was perfect but the taste was chemical and oil.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:21

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Low carb Emporium also makes a very good brownie, in a few different flavors.

I would also like to see the info on the Maine Cottage ones, though.
Thanks!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 15:34

BF:
Post what the brownies are like, etc

I think the only way to get them is online at mainecottagefoods.com. I have never seen them anywhere else, though I got the name of the company from a friend of my husbands who saw them in a specialty store in Maine.

They are sweetened with erythritol, which is why I like them. I don't have a pack with me at the time, but I think inulin is in them too and I heard that that may add to the sweet taste too. The carb count would vary depending on what kind of brownies you get (they really are made to order), but my basic dark chocolate minis are less than 3 grams carbs/serving of 2 minis which I think is about 3 ounces. Sorry I don't know the numbers more precisely.

I'm glad to hear you tried a mix that was awful. I just always blamed myself for bad results, and I have tried a lot of mixes (the original Atkins muffin mixes were good, but the new incarnation is only so so and not worth the higher carb count IMHO). It's why I decided to splurge and just eat dependably good stuff, but just less of it. It works out even on the pocketbook and is safer diet-wise too. Plus you can ask for the brownies to be made in a fancy dish, which is very impressive to bring to a party and pretend you made them.

I will check out the low carb Emporium brownies. Do you have a favorite kind?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 15:40

BF:
Unhappy oops

I was just kidding about bringing Maine Cottage Food brownies to a party in a fancy dish and pretending that I baked them - my friends know I only cook for people I don't like.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:14

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

The coconut "rum" ones are my *FAVE* but they are all good. I like everything that they make.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 12:04

BF:

sknymonkey - shoot! I went to low carb emporium and all they were showing were walnutty brownies. They are probably temporarily out of the coconut. I bookmarked the site and will watch for them.

Happy low carbing!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 08:13

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

I tried the Main Cottage cupcakes and they taste incredible I wish things of that quality were available in stores instead of just online. I gave one to one of my non-lc friends and she was quite impressed as well.