Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Calorie question

I was looking at my charts of fitday and my calories burned levels were twice the amount of my calories eaten. I ate a bit over 1800 calories today. Does that mean I should up my calories? I can't imagine loosing weight at more than 1800 calories, but I have to remember this isn't a low calorie diet. Should I just keep on eating like I am? I dint want to stall myself by not eating enough, but really I feel satisfied with the foods I eat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:57
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

Fitday really overestimates calories burned, IMO.

I believe in listening to your body when it comes to calories, unless you are an emotional eater of course. For everyone else, this works just fine. If you are hungry, eat more. If you are not hungry, don't eat. That way the body will self-regulate. You will have some days at lower calories and others at higher. There is no magic number over which you can't lose weight on Atkins. It will depend on your body, activities, and also on how many carbs and carb sources. Many people can eat plenty of calories while maintaining induction-level carbs, but find out they have to decrease calories when they reach pre-maintenance or maintenance level carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 20:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

BrisaLee, if you're eating well and you're losing and you're not feeling deprived then don't change anything If you notice that things change then you can look to fixing what may be broke, in the meantime, enjoy your WOL

FWIW, IMHO, fitday does a pretty good job in estimating calories for BMR and lifestyle - the formula it uses is pretty standard and doesn't tend to be off my more than 15%.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 20:10
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

For me, it underestimates the ones burned by exercise, gets the BMR right (well, as right as it can be without including body fat % - close enough), but really overestimates how many calories I burn just sitting on my tush on a computer all day. When I was not in ketosis, I got a pretty clear picture of what my maintenance calories are, and they are lower than what FitDay has me at, even with the exercise underestimation.