Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 05:54

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Question about growing muscle

Hi TrainerDan-- hope you read this!

I've got a question about building muscle and I'm confused about what I've read. I've read in some sources that muscle is really only built by strength training, that just eating protein alone will not put the muscle on you. You need to eat protein to grow muscle, but it will not grow without the strength training. If this is true, it would suggest that just eating low-carb and lots of protein while sitting on your butt will not magically "exchange" fat for muscle. Can you comment on this?

Thanks,
Missydog

Last edited by missydog : Mon, Dec-10-01 at 17:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 16:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default to be simple

The body is an amazing mechanism. If it doesn't need to be stronger, it won't use the protein in your diet to rebuild muscle tissue.

However, if you place a workload on your muscles (resistance training), you are now forcing your body to adapt to a new stimulus. If it regularly has to lift weight, then it will compensate by making your muscle fibers grow in the area being worked (note: it is a VERY gradual process ...)

If you are not lifting weight, and there is no workload to adapt to, then your body/muscles will stay the way they are.

Once you have it, you have to maintain it too. It's all a case of use it or lose it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 23:48

Plan: keto
Stats: 200/200/210
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good info TD. Everyone should steer clear of any diet or supp that brags of muscle growth without work.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 22:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/175/175
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Question about carbs!!!!

Hello!
I am on a low carb diet, but am trying to build MUSCLE. I am hearing a lot on the web that you can NOT build muscle on low carb diets.

Is this true? after all, I have some fat to lose too, but want to pack on size!

Can you bodybuild on a low carb diet?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 20:05

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default well ...

the idea behind dropping carbs is to tikt the body more toward fat loss.

however, it is POSSIBLE to grow muscle while low carbbing. But, if adding muscle mass is your only goal, you may want to use another plan that alloows for more muscle gain.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 16:08

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%
Default Re: well ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
the idea behind dropping carbs is to tikt the body more toward fat loss.

however, it is POSSIBLE to grow muscle while low carbbing. But, if adding muscle mass is your only goal, you may want to use another plan that alloows for more muscle gain.

I am actually trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time currently. I am not fat at all, I am just tired of the traditional bukling since I always end up looking like a dough-boy. But I do realize that this is almost essentially opposite processess to ypu are trying to acheive. I believe I am getting some positive results, of course since this is difficult to simultaneosly acheive, you have to modify the CDK plan for your exactly body type, and also it took me a while to learn correctly. Such factors as altering percentages of fats:carbs as the week progresses, and the carb up it-self is also very fincky. But in the past month I think I have figured out what is working for me, and have gone up in weight in several excersizes while low carbing .... while maintaining near same weight, of course this is a tough determinant since your weight will be all over the place on this diet. But it seems to be working I of course will keep everyone posted on ym results ... ^_^
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 09:21

Plan: NHE
Stats: 180/170/175
BF:
Progress: 200%
Default better diet for gaining lean body mass

But, if adding muscle mass is your only goal, you may want to use another plan that alloows for more muscle gain.

lastly I am trying to gain lean muscle (as lean as posssible), but low carb diet (even with high loads) is not working the way it should, right now I am looking for better alternative for gaining lean body mass, please could you recommend some tips,
I am thinking about Zone diet, but since I don't tolerate grains well, most of my carbs should come from fruits, is it OK?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 17:51

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Why don't you try ABCDE?

Then you bulk for 2 weeks and then cut for 1-2 weeks so that bf% doesn't go out of control. The bulk is now limited to 125% of maintenance and the cut then only needs to be 90% of maintenance.

It is much better to start cutting when the BF% creeps up, rather than having to take way more drastic measures when it is almost too late..

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/abcde/v58_abc1.asp

has a lot of data on it.. but remember it's 125% now, not 140% which gave too much fat increase..

Fietser
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 02:21

Plan: NHE
Stats: 180/170/175
BF:
Progress: 200%
Default THX

;-)