Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 07:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/180.5/165 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Gastric Bypass

How do people who have had gastric bypass avoid going into starvation mode, since they no longer have the capacity to eat large meals? I am in a stall but I think I am just eating to much. I have always been a big eater but I think I will cut back on portion size. Afraid of starvation mode though.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 09:49

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I can't give you a scientific answer here, however, my sister had gastric bypass 3 weeks ago today, so I thought I'd bump your post. Besides the small amounts of pureed food she can eat, she's also required to drink 32 ozs. of a protein drink, as well as 32 ozs. of other liquids. She also takes some kind of supplements. I think this helps your body from going into starvation mode. Just because your body can't tolerate "large meals", it doesn't mean you'll go into starvation mode. I think once your body gets used to smaller portions (rather than the HUGE ones we get here in the U.S.), things even out.

BTW, she's lost 25 lbs. in 3 weeks.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:45

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

You know? I have asked that same question (not here though) and no one can come up with a good answer for me. My sister had lapband surgery over a month ago, and has lost over 30 lbs. She barely eats anything.... My question is: What is the difference in someone limiting there calorie intake to say 1000 a day (like the fat fast) or having the lapband surgery and limiting the intake? Is it purely willpower? Why don't these people feel like crap? All tired out & weak? Part of me is so jealous - I exercise 5 days a week and she doesn't. I watch what I eat, and she doesn't and SHE IS THE ONE LOSING THE WEIGHT!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 324/277/150 Female 5ft 4.5in
BF:
Progress: 27%

I don't know about them going into "starvation mode", but I was talking to a co-worker today who told me she had the surgery 6 mos ago. She said she has been still extremely hungry this whole time, and gets so frustrated because she can't ever satisfy her hunger. I would go nuts.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 21:47

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I've known people who had the surgery and lost the weight and then gained it all or nearly all back after that.

I don't see the point of doing it because its a risky procedure in the first place and then on top of that the results are not permanent, but the damage done to your body is.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 22:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 206/166/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I think it has to do with not only how much or little you eat but how that food is metabolized. 1000 calories injested may only be absorbed by the body as 600. The other 400 calories are not absorbed. This is where the diarrhea comes in...or out. Those are made up figures by the way.
It is easy to become envious of those who are losing weight at such a rapid rate without much effort. It is an extreme and possibly dangerous way to lose weight. The thing that really bothers me is that some insurance companies will pay for plastic surgery to remove the excess skin on these patients while I am saving my hard earned cash for a tummy tuck!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 22:12

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but I would think they could keep their calories up & hunger at bay by adding fat to those shakes. JMO.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 01:06

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

I also talked to a woman who had had gastric bypass and she said she was hungry ALL the time. Can you imagine having a ravenous appetite (as many of us did preAtkins) and stuffing a miniturized stomach to the point of being ill.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 09:48

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks

Quote:
I also talked to a woman who had had gastric bypass and she said she was hungry ALL the time.

This is what I don't understand. Doesn't your brain tell you when you're full? If you get fuller faster because of your reduced stomach size, shouldn't your brain tell you that faster? I just don't get it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 10:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what I understand, GBS folks eat a lot like us! Smaller, nutrient-dense meals with very few empty calories from starches and sugar. I interpret it as surgically-enforced LCing with high risk of complications including malnutrition - which partially explains the hunger. Stomach size/fullness is only one hunger regulator.

I fully support those who choose to go through with it, but it makes me sad that it has to come to that.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:56

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I had my stomach stapled 14 years ago. I did not have a gastric bypass. I have never been hungry since the surgery. However I still enjoy eating. After the surgery I was required to drink protein drinks daily, my food intake was severely limited both in quantity and what I could eat. I was on soft food for quite a while. My surgery was major but my recovery went very well; today many have much less invasive surgery with easier recovery. Having this surgery is not "sad." But it also is not an easy cure. It is a tool to help achieve your weight goals. No one should do it without being sure they understand the commitment they are taking on and they need to have a really good surgeon.

I would do it again in a second. It was one of the best things I did for myself.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:01

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomom
I don't know about them going into "starvation mode", but I was talking to a co-worker today who told me she had the surgery 6 mos ago. She said she has been still extremely hungry this whole time, and gets so frustrated because she can't ever satisfy her hunger. I would go nuts.

This was my brother-in-law's experience also...he basically eats all day long - tiny amounts - and he is constantly hungry. He has a difficult time getting in enough calories to avoid hunger, because of the limit on the volume of food he can eat. He did lose weight, but I wouldn't say he is entirely happy with his WOE nowadays.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 14:19

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
I would do it again in a second. It was one of the best things I did for myself.

I mean no disrespect, but if its so great then why do you still have weight to lose?

I noticed with my friend as well... she went down from 303 to 175 and then just stopped losing weight, and now she can overeat and gain 5-9 pounds over a weekend and has to diet to take it back off.

I guess what I'm saying is that for most people I know of that have had it done the advantage seems to only last 6-18 months and then they stop easily losing weight and have the same problems as before gaining it.

What advantages do you see from having what you had done?....do you gain much less than before?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 15:49

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:

I used to be so desperate to lose weight that I fantasized about having the surgery...then I found LC. Those who choose to do it, do so because they are desperate and their health is failing. But I'm so glad that I didn't do it. Give me Atkins any day over surgery.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:36

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I have known a fair number of people who have had various types of WLS. I have never seen even one of them achieve their goal weight. And most lost a lot initially, then start gaining it back. I would never criticize their decision to have the surgery because for many, it is a very difficult decision based upon some pretty serious health issues.

I do think that part of the problem with their continued weight loss is that they do go into starvation mode and their metabolism, as a result, slows WAY down. Your body can and will adjust to very low caloric levels. So I think your question is a good one and I do believe that WLS patients get into "starvation" mode and have problems getting all the weight off and keeping off what they lost initially.

I hope that these patients experience lower blood pressure, less stress on their joints, and other physical benefits as a result of the surgery because that might just make it possible for them to learn to control their weight in the long run.

Orchid