Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 10:08

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default I'm SO DEPRESSED

Hi everyone. I just got this new job, it's retail, boring and 40 hours a week of my life for only 50 cents above minimum wage.
I HATE it and it is starting to get me really depressed, I haven't even been there for a full 2 weeks yet. I was thinking about switching jobs, but the other job offer I got was for less hours AND less money....
I just don't know what to do. I can't live my life being depressed, I have a serious problem with depression, but when I can keep myself away from things that trigger my depression I am usually pretty sane and happy.
I am thinking of asking for less hours, but I am afraid the manager will get angry or know how much I hate the job and fire me or something... I need the money, but honestly, not at the expense of my sanity. I feel like I should ask for less hours, and then start looking for another job, or start my own business again. I am much happier working for myself.
Please give me your adivce. I have lost nearly 50 pounds in the past year, but I had gained all of that weight BECASUE I WAS SEVERELY DEPRESSED. I CANNOT allow myself to fall back into a depression again, it isn't healthy for my mind or my body. I dread getting out of bed in the morning, partly becasue the weather is changing and it is cold outside...but mostly becasue I dread being at that lame job for 8 hours.
I know people probably think I'm just a complainer, but what would you do? I can get by on less money, but it will be difficult. I honestly didn't even want to accept the job, but it was full time and I needed to replace my seasonal job that had just ended.
Please, get back to me with your advice, I really appreciate it. HUGS to all
Marie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 10:26

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

Hi Marie, I recognize that signature line!

My advice to you is this:
You are still young, you are at a crossroads in your life.

On one side is the boring retail job, safe but keeps you in bed because you don't want to be there.

On the other side is the great unknown. Knowing what I know about life now, if I were your age, I would follow my passion. Do what you love. Do something that will make you want to get out of bed every morning. You said that you enjoyed having your own business. Do it! Life is too short to spend years in a job that you hate.

Look into all of your options. Do the one thing that makes your head full of ideas and possibilities. Gather support from friends and family. They all want to see you happy too!

A couple of years ago I was in a very dark place. I found a lot of comfort in a book called "Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav. Go to the library and check it out.

I'm a firm believer that if you follow your passion, the universe will provide.

Hang in there!

Alena.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 10:39

thanks Alena. There is a library in the mall where I work, so if it is open today I will check out the book you mentioned.
There are so many things I want to do, but the job market isn't hot right now. But I am smart and I know I will find something that is better suited for me. I think I will talk to my boss today about giving me less hours, there is a girl at work who wants fulltime, maybe I could simply switch with her.
Hugs! If anyone else has advice, please let me know. I am thinking about going to broadcasting school but it is $10,000 !!!!
for a ten month course...so student loans will only cover some of it, and I'll have to come up with the rest of it some other way. But I am going to talk to them at the school, becasue that is one of the things I would really like to do. I am trying to break into the singing/acting biz but that is VERY difficult. At least with broadcasting, I would be performing, but getting a regular paycheque at the same time. But the cost of the course...yikes...maybe something to save up for. We'll see. I'll keep you posted, and thanks so much Alena. I know I am right to move on if it doesn't feel right, I just needed someone to validate my concerns I guess. I'll be back after work to tell you how it went, hahaha.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: Just reducing my carbs
Stats: 126/119/100 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi Marie~
You live in vancouver~ so do i~!!
maybe we can go out for a low-carb lunch some time!!

Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I once had a job that I hated... managers weren't very nice, co-workers were so much older than me... but i kept on working there since i needed the money.... but then my stress at work started to affect my personal life at home and with my boyfriend, and i couldn't take it anymore! but the money was really good... and i didn't know what to do!!
eventually, i didn't do a "good" job in their standards, and was let go... now i work in a retail store that doesn't pay as much, but i'm having a blast~!
money isn't everything~ take some time off, and think about what you want to do in the future~ although i'm younger than you, you're still young!!!! I realize that we're too young to be stressed!!!! we need to have fun while it lasts!!!!!!!!!
message me whenever you need someone to talk to~

Your Little Pal,
Maria~
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 20:29

Ahh, another low carber in Vancouver! There seem to be quite a few of us, though I havne't met any of you in person...yet.
As for the job, I feel like I am too experienced to be working retail. The manager even asked me if I would be happy with a sales job...what choice did I have? I had to get SOME kind of job!
ANyway, I have been thinking about it, and I am going to stay where I am for the moment. I'm thinking about going to broadcasting school...I obviously need to go back to school in one way or another, because I REFUSE to work retail until I'm old and grey, and I need something to fall back on if the singing career doesn't take off.
So...the course is too much to be 100% covered by student loans, I'll need to save up, and I'll also need to have a job while I'm going to school, in order to pay my bills...so I am going to stick it out for as long as possible, and just try to make the most of it. Today wasn't such a bad day, it's the late night shifts on Thursday and Fridays that really gets to me! I'll talk to you all later, thanks so much for the responses! HUGS
Marie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 13:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Smile

Hi Marie,

I hope things are going better for you.

I've been mostly off after a gall stone attack. but I have been thinking of you. What I was thinking was one of my friends recently went to find out about reading to the blind. the CNIB (Cdn Institute for the Blind) has these reading tests you can do if you wish to volunteer. Maybe you could start doing something like that? You would be practicing reading out loud and for a good cause. You might even be able to use it as experience for a future job!

another thought, what about community radio? Maybe there are some things you could do there? Even if it isn't on-air, you could gain insights, experience and make some contacts.

anyways, hope things are better for you.

Alena.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:03

Plan: CKD
Stats: 298/190/180
BF:
Progress: 92%

There are a lot of natural supplements that many bodybuilders and those suffering from depression who low-carb and use supplements which affect thyroid and the central-nervous-system.

Two supplements which seem to be popular are 5-HTP and Inositol ( you can find both at great prices at www.vitaminshoppe.com A lot of people have reported great sucess with these ( moreso it seems with inositol ) but with larger dosages.

Even after losing 100+ pounds and being in the best shape of my young life, I still suffer from depression and social anxiety disorder, although without realizing I was taking some of the above mentioned supplements that were in other supplements I was using and I started to feel better but didn't know why.

I'll let you know how these supps work out.