Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 07:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%
Default Anyone see last night's 11pm NBC news re: AMA study?

I didn't get all of the details, but it was a brand new study, saying that low-carb diets worked, but only because they tended to be low-calorie. Couldn't find anything on-line that related to it. I'd like to have heard more, but you know the health broadcasts are short and sweet. Anyone know more about it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 13:54
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

This is a common criticism of low-carb, but I'm not sure I get why people think this is discovering some deep dark secret. (My frustration is not aimed at you! )

A lot of people find that eating low carb diminishes their appetite, so yes, it can be a lower calorie plan. So what? The key difference for me is that any time I've tried to cut calories in the past, I have been hungry, dissatisfied and was unable to maintain it for very long.

On this WOE, I am never hungry, I eat a huge variety of foods and never feel dissatisfied because I can eat things like cream, hollandaise, nuts, etc. Yes, my appetite has diminished (a good thing!) so I'm taking in less calories. The difference is that this WOE doesn't torture me like low-fat low-cal diets did.

I think that's why most people find this WOE satisfying. They feel great, health conditions get under control and they don't feel deprived. If calories are reduced at the same time, all the better.

In one sense -- all weight loss plans are lower calorie. But most of them are pretty bland and tasteless, thus hard to sustain.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 14:40

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Yeah, I was wondering, when listening to the broadcast, why these studies are so narrowly scoped. When I lost a bunch of weight on the Zone, years ago, I knew it was lower cal than I had been used to eating, but the balance of nutrients kept me from being hungry.

And now on Atkins, this feeling of not being hungry is even more dramatic. Two eggs with bacon and a slice of American cheese at nine a.m., and then I have to make myself go out to get my chicken over salad at 2 in the afternoon. This DOES NOT happen on low-cal/low-fat plans. You can think of nothing but food on those plans. Low-carb WOE gives you back control, I'm convinced.

Now, if only they'd do a study that measured hunger signals, there would be far fewer naysayers...