Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%
Default Afew questions, RE: Atkins & yeast infections, and what is TOO MUCH fat?

I cannot believe I had 177 grams of fat yesterday....never in my life have I had so many. Is this okay? I only have 14 grams of carbs. Should I try to only have 1800-2000 calories as well? I read the book, but at this moment, it's foggy and I am confused.

Also, I have chronic yeast infections. I am going to lay off the foods that are known to make things worse, but I'm wondering, do any of you have this problem? If so, does it stall you?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:24

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

From what I've read and people I've talked with, most of us eat around 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs while on induction. My typical day is about 170grams of fat as well.

Dr. A doesn't have us count calories, but advises only to eat until satisfied, not to 'pig out'. I've also read that you should be taking in about 10-11x your body weight in calories. So you may be eating a few more than you should unless you are really active.

As for yeast, the book has a great chapter on that. You might want to re-read that. Have you cut out cheese yet?

Good luck!

Last edited by LCBarbara : Wed, Apr-30-03 at 07:29.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:28

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

Cheese is my favorite thing ever. It helps me stay on this diet...I'm scared that I will give up if I can't eat cheese.

Yes, I reread it. I hjust hope that the yeast thing doesn't make it IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose more weight.

I'm curious is anyone has overcome this problem.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:29

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%
Angry

katgurl:

I have recently discovered that I have a Yeast intolerance too , I really really would appreciat it if experienced ppl inform us if it would be impossible for us to lose anymore weigh on the Atkins, mind you the foods that we are supposed to avoid to cure the yeast intolerance is more or less the same as the food on the Atkins -only Atkins allows cheese.

Has anyone found a better more suited diet for Yeast intolerant ppl???
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Since you've lost 11 pounds in less than a month, it doesn't look like yeast overgrowth is preventing weight loss. You're past induction, so maybe you should start eating full fat yogurt everyday to help combat it. I don't have chronic yeast infections now, but a few years ago my allergist was prescribing antibiotics at an alarming rate and I did have several over a short period of time (like, as soon as one cleared up, I was running to the drugstore for more Monistat). Yogurt did seem to help mitigate them.

If it were me, I'd avoid bleu cheese like the plauge until you're sure your yeast overgrowth has cleared up. Try feta. If you can find garlic feta, it will satisfy the "stinky cheese" urge wonderfully. And I'd drop my calorie intake a wee bit too, although I wouldn't worry about too high a fat percentage. Atkins states that if you're having a problem losing, tipping your fat/protein ratio towards fat will help. That's just me, though.

Now, do you actually feel you're in a stall, or are you just anticpating problems? How long has it been since you lost and are you still losing inches? It's perfectly normal to slow down after the initial big drop.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:58

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hey kids, it's not so bad. I have a serious MOLD allergy, that comes with an automatic yeast problem. I have to limit myself to fresh cheeses like buffalo mozzarella, regular mozzarella, feta, and other non-aged cheeses in moderation. NO CHEDDAR! NO BRIE! ABSOLUTELY NO PARMESAN, ROMANO! Ok, once you're better and not freakin out, I have these occasionally.

I found myself having big probs at first due to upping my cheese consumption (in my house we call this "the skitters"). Try the fresh cheeses. There is NOTHING better than fresh mozzarella (the balls - at a good store) soaked in olive oil and FRESH herbs! BASIL! DELISH!! This stuff is super creamy, melts beautifully, and is just great. No it's not cheap but neither is a yeast infection, in more ways than one .

Cotton panties (they come in black, don't worry!) and Buffalo Mozzarella for everyone!! It's a party!
Hugs,
Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, Apr-30-03 at 09:00.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 09:56

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I too was very concerned about my fat intake, so I have been trying to stay under 100 g, and trying to keep the saturated fat down to 30 grams (that is very hard, I am always over!) I find if I eat lots of Tuna in water and chicken and tofu, I can get very high levels of protein, still low carbs, and moderate though still high levels of fat. I like the idea of that whole 10x-12x cal thing, but that is too low for me. I eat about 1800/day, though I lose little weight. IMHO, if I was to limit my self to 1300 cal/day, it would not make a difference if I was eating low carb, low fat or even all ice cream! If loss comes only from calories, then I can just as easily make sure I dont go over that while eating bread again! (mmm bread!) BTW, I still wouldn't eat sugar, just more whole grains!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 02:59

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

2berners:

I think I have been losing slow but ok, I have lost lots more inches than actual weight (I think this is because I am doing a lot of weight resistance/running exercises??) after only 6 weeks on the Atkins I can fit into size8-10, this was just a distant dream 6 weeks ago, hence I wasn't worried about the actual scale loss, but when I learnt very recently that I have the Yeast intolerance, I got worried about stalling in the future, and may be never being able to reach my target.

Frankly at the moment I am trying hard to cure this Yeast overgrowth, do you have any suggestions of any more readings/supplements to help -I am taking acidophillus(sp?)

many thanks
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:49

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Was at the health food stores last night and noticed several supplements that were specifically formulated for Candida and yeast problems. You may want to visit your local store and check those out.

I've read that acididopholis (sp) is supposed to do a good job - just have to give it time to work.