Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 21:50

Plan: Atkins, EAS Low Carb, No sugar added products
Stats: 220/210/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question Gymnema sylvestre?

Does anyone use this? Does it really work for controlling blood sugar levels?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 21:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi there Comftnum2,

I see from one of your other posts that you were diagnosed with PCOS, and had been taking Glucophage for a while, but had to stop due to the expense. Are you also diabetic??

Gymnema sylvestre has been used in India for thousands of years to treat diabetes. Indeed, it's been shown in clinical trials that it does lower blood sugar, but it does so gradually over time.

If you are diabetic, you'd be wise to have a health professional's supervision for using this herb, as it can lead to hypoglycemia, especially if you're taking other medications to lower the blood sugar. If you're not diabetic ... studies show that gymnema can lead to increased insulin levels, which you definitely DON'T want if you have PCOS.

Chewing fresh leaves from this herb can block the sweet taste sensation on the tongue, thus reducing cravings for sweets and sugar. However, this property isn't found in the powdered herb or capsules.

Some studies suggest that it may have some effect to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

You can read more about gymnema sylvestre at Healthwell.com

Hope this helps

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 23:32

Plan: Atkins, EAS Low Carb, No sugar added products
Stats: 220/210/140
BF:
Progress: 13%

No I am not really Diabetic, I am Insulin Resistant.
Thanks for all the info.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 01:48
Registered Member

Plan: one
Stats: 45/60/20 Male 5,8
BF:
Progress:
Default updateeee

I update for new information today
Gymnema is a plant used medicinally in India and Southeast Asia for treatment of “sweet urine” or what we refer to in the West as diabetes or hyperglycemia. Gymnema leaves, whether extracted or infused into a tea, suppress glucose absorption and reduce the sensation of sweetness in foods effects which may deliver important health benefits for individuals who want to reduce blood sugar levels or body weight.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 07:04

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I have been using gymnema sylvestre for about 3 months.
It's effect on my glucose level,at this point,is insignificant.
It has destroyed my desire for sweet things and has greatly
lowered my triglycerides.I take one 500 mg gymnema pill
15 minutes before each meal.Bitter Melon does more than
any other herbal product to lower my glucose.
Eddie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 18:52

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I've used gymnema sylvestre for about 2 years. In the beginning, I needed it in combination with other herbs and or medications. Now, I'm using just gymnema sylvestre and it is working just fine.

Gymnema to my knowledge has no known side effects. It does not cause hypoglycemia. Diabetes medicines taken in combination with gymnema might give hypos, but it is not the gymnema...

While only on herbal medicines, including many combinations of herbs with gymnema, I have never had a hypo.

Gymnema sylvestre might cause the pancreas to increase insulin, but only if your pancreas is already not producing enough of it. It won't make you have excess insulin just floating around and causing insulinemia, or that would have been reported years ago as a side effect. I've researched this herb thoroughly and it is probably the safest herb to use to control blood sugar levels.... I don't think it is the most effective herb to use if a person has problems keeping their blood sugars down with diet and exercise, but it has worked for me and will remain a part of what I do to control my diabetes...
Ron