Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question What do you use as your secret daily reminder that you are on this woe and doing well

I was just thinking that when I was younger, everytime I was really serious about going on a diet, I would paint my toenails. This was my own secret reminder to myself. No one else sees it, but I. I'd make them a pretty, bright color and every morning when I'd get dressed, there they were as a beacon to my dedication and success.

Do use anything as a secret reminder? Perhaps a special song on a favorite CD? Maybe a special ring? A new haircolor?

I think it's time for me to paint my toenails!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:47

Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool Reality Check

Hi! My secret reality check/reminder story is this. I went out to Kirklands (a decorating accessory store in the mall) and bought a huge 6 foot by four foot carved and gilded mirror. I put it against one corner of my bedroom (sort of leaned it against the wall like the designers do these days). So why did I do this? Because every morning when I get out of the shower I make myself get in front of the mirror before I get dressed. I make sure I spend a good amount of time so I know I am not running away from my reflection and what I have done to myself. This is where I renew my promise to myself every morning. And now its not much of a secret is it?!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:58

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 145/120/125
BF:
Progress: 125%

I cut my hair!!! See, the first time I went on this WOE was two years ago - I was at my heaviest 180 lbs, and just got out of a destructive relationship. I had always had very very long straight hair which was my security blanket because everyone loved it so much. I lost 50 pounds in 6 months and cut my hair short to celebrate. Then over the year I gained back to about 145ish and decided to go back to this WOE for good - my hair had grown out long again - so I cut it off - and every day when I blow dry my hair (which I love this style) it reminds me that I on this WOE!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 09:44

Stats: 200/160/150
BF:
Progress: 80%

This is a good thread. Okay, my shower has glass doors so everyday when I take a shower I write in the steam. Yes I know that it sounds funny but it is how I get motivated for the day. I write with my finger how much I have lost, how much to go, my starting, during, and ending weight and sometimes a little message like "way to go." Hey it works. Best of all I can erase it with my hand and my husband doesn't find out what a dork I really am.

jess
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 10:05

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quads! Every morning when I wake up and stretch out my legs I feel how rock hard my quads are! Keeps me running and going to the gym...which naturally leads to eating well for me!

Great thread!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 10:23

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default If I told you it wouldn't be a secret!

However I am thinking of painting my bathroom various shades of pink to purple.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 13:03

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Mine wasn't really a secret.

When I first started this way of life almost a year ago I made two print outs that read:

Tempted? You are only cheating yourself.

I attached them to my frig and the freezer. Everytime I started to cook dinner, get a snack, or anything else it was an upfront reminder that it is ME that makes the difference on if I succeed or fail. If I failed to lose weight, it was me to blame and not anything else.

It's worked 46 pounds and still counting.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 13:52

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking How to choose?

So many signs that I'm doing well...
...that it's hard to choose just one. I know I'm succeeding because I'm happier, by the notches on my belt, because I can bend over and pick things up off the floor, because I'm wearing smaller clothes...and so on.

As for the daily reminder...I just always have it first and foremost in my mind that I have consciencely made the decision to lose weight for real and for good. I intend to do everything I can to loose weight and keep it off. It's not like in the past. This time it's about good health and a living a good and honest life rather than a superficial, temprorary fix.

Nothing like a health scare to snap ya back to reality!

Oh, and I confess to chekcing out my progress in the mirror every day. Today I saw contours where there had only been swollen fat blobs just a few months ago.

Donald
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 14:38

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Smile This is fun! You guys are really creative.

I just knew I wasn't the only one who did crazy stuff! I like the idea of writing on the shower door, Jess. and I keep quotes on my fridge too, Agony Cat. I am the leader of my TOPS club and each week I pass out a little quote for them to post. Rustpot, I just redecorated my bathroom, but not as exciting as yours. I painted it green with shadowy giant fern leaves all over the walls. Gives it that restful feeling of being deep in a forest.

Carol
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 17:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

I would have to say my big ole water glass on my nightstand is my first reminder of my WOL!!!

Got to say... tucking my shirt in and buckling my belt on my size 6 jeans every morning is enough to keep me motivated!!!

I like your ideas too!! Last time I was this size, I had a curly perm and I've been considering getting another!

Ellie