Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/191/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile Pat on the back!!!

OK guys! I am just amazed with the feelings I am having. i am on the 7 day of induction and can't really believe that i have absolutely no cravings for sugar or carbs. I really do not understand? And I am a nurse. I should know this stuff. I am concerned for my future, as I tend to get bored with the same foods. How do you all deal with variety? I have several cookbooks/dietbooks, but how do you choose witch ones to start with? Can you give some of the better more enjoyable recipes? I am mainly eating grilled chicken, tuna, some beef and some vegetables. Does everyone have this same problem with choosing meals?

Thanks for any info!
Shannon in Venus Texas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:32

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Isn't it amazing how the cravings lessen? As for recipes, we have some excellent ones right here in the recipe section. Check it out when you have time! Glad things are going well for you. I loooove Atkins!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:30
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

Hey I'm a nurse too, and I got to wondering the other day why after I increased my fat intake by about double then I started losing. If this WOE is supposed to burn the fat I have (which is alot) they why does it burn even better if I add more fat in my diet???? If my body wants more fat- burn what's on my butt please!!!

about your question about boredom with things to eat? I find I have the opposite problem and want to try out so many recipies that I don't have enough meals in a week to do them all. 2 fav's right now, chicken/broccoli bake, and BBQ ribs OMG they are heavenly!!! don't get stuck in the low-fat way of thinking of only eating boneless skinless chicken breasts for meat. That's what great about this woe, you can experiment and have fun with so many different things.

I have taken several recipies here and modified them to suit me and what I like. There has only been one that I tried and hated and threw away, and that was a cake. It was icky. But the best thing I have found I modified was the Mock Danish. The base recipe is great for making a brownie type treat for breakfast. I just start with the base (only have always used 2 eggs instead of 1) and added in 1T coconut oil, 1T pumpkin, 3T almond flour (I'm off induction) and a dash of each cinn, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. Also add about 1-2T vanilla divinci syrup. Nuke for 5 minutes and yum tastes like a pumpkin brownie for breakfast. I wanna try adding cocoa and see if it makes a real brownie.

Last edited by nursey15 : Wed, Jan-14-04 at 20:35.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 21:15

Stats: 200/191/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

LoriH,
Where do I find the recipes? I have not maastered this website yet!!
Shannon
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Check out the recipes on here. at the bottom of the screen there is a "forum jump" with a pull down menu. Just go to the kitchen section.

For actual cookbooks, my absolute favorite is "500 Low-Carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender. Many book stores now carry it. It has easy recipes for the most part, and all the ingredients cna be found at a regular grocery store.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:00

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

My favorite book it the Low Carb Comfort Food book. It is by the Eades, who came up with protein power(?).
I really like their philosophy toward food, even though I do Atkins. The recipes are amazing, and the tips and helpful hints that they give take a lot of the guesswork out.
Happy Eating!