Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217.8/190.9/154 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Are there different kinds of whey protein powders? Think I got the wrong one........

Hi there everyone,

In my efforts to reduce my intake of bacon and eggs for breakfast I have been having a home made protein shake for breakky instead.

It was a recipe i got from someone in here, I think it was casval?

Its whey protein power, yoghurt, berries, flaxseed oil and pysllium husks.
Its very nice, and very filling.....but my problem is the carbs for the whey powder I bought is 7.5 grams of carbs per 10g!!!! Is this right?

It seems awfully high! Have I bought the wrong one?
The one I have is called "whey powder" its brand is Soland. I asked for whey protein powder and thats what she gave me.

Anyone that knows of a low carb whey protein powder, could u please let me know.

Cheers Cheley.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:57
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cheley,

Yes, I'm afraid you have bought the wrong one. It's just a matter of reading labels (as with just about everything else we buy that's manufactured).

At the moment I'm using "Perfect Protein" made by Aussie Bodies. It's allegedly chocolate flavoured (I add a teaspoon of cocoa powder and a couple of crushed Splenda tablets) and has 3.3 carbs per 40g serve. I think they make a vanilla one too, but I haven't seen a plain one. I'm sure there must be one out there though. Might be worth a few phone calls to health food shops in your area.

Cheers.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 244/227.3/189 Female 6'0"
BF:51%/??/30%
Progress: 30%

Hi Cheley,

I use the Balance Whey Protein. It has only 4.5g of carb per 100g (suggested serving is 30), so it's pretty low.

I've only tried the chocolate flavour, but it is very yummy! I bought it at the local health food store - you shouldn't have a problem finding it.

Cheers,
Wabi
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 05:46

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

Hey every one, I use WPC from www.myopure.com.au, it is plain so it can be used to up the protein ratio of cheesecakes(guess what I was doing this weekend!)and stuff, or you can flavour it how you want, it is the cheapest I have found in my extensive research so far!( important for students like me!)

Last edited by Jezebel : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 05:48.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Cheley

I use the WPI from Balance Muscle Technology. It's only 0.5% carbs. The protein content is 95%. It's pure, unflavoured protein powder. I get it from my local Health Food store for $64 for the 1.5kg container. I recently bought the 4kg container for $145. The price for this varies hugely, so shop around. As an example, I saw in another health food store, the 1.5kg one is being sold for $90!!!!

Anyway, it's good stuff. Gets into your system very quickly.

Congrats on the weight loss. You're doing very well!

Greg
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 21:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone,

I did ask for whey protein powder, but the girl (and i mean girl about 15) handed me the whey powder. Stupid me thought if you worked in a health food shop you might actually have a small amount of knowledge to share with the customers..... Needless to say I wont be going back there again!

Anyway thanks again to everyone that responded to my question, Im going to Newcastle tomorrow so I will track some down somewhere!!
Dont think I could live without a protein shake now....great start to the day....especially before uni.

Cheers Cheley.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:26
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I think it's all in the wording. Whey powder is just like skim milk powder - very high in carbs. They key is to look for whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate...the latter being the lowest in carbs. Some isolate powders are zero carbs but I'm not prepared to pay the price so the one I buy is 98.5% protein. I also prefer to buy plain WPI and add my own flavours...don't like that 'fake' taste that some of them have so I add DaVinci syrups to mine.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hi all,

I got hold of some BALANCE muscle technology 100% pure ION

exchange Whey, 95% protein, 0.5g carbs per 100mls.....

thats much better!!!

Think I may have been a little ripped off with the price,

but by this stage I was just happy to find it!!

750g - 49.95.

Thanks again everyone,

Cheers Cheley.

Last edited by cheley05 : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 18:46.