Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/123/120
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default EAS Bars--can I trust the carb count?

Can I really trust the carb count on protein bars when they say there are 17 carbs, but only 3 are "impact carbs?" Do I really just have to count those 3carbs? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, there, and welcome.

The short answer to your question comes in 2 parts, really, and the answers are related.

First, only YOU can decide whether or not those carbs are either impact or non-impact, as everybody reacts differently. You will need to try the bars and see how you do. You will want to spend some time reading about carbs and reading about low carb. There's lots of info already available and posted by those who have gone through it. There's this Products forum, the Newbies' Questions Forum , both VERY helpful when starting out in learning about Low Carb.

Second, as you become more experienced in low carb and take ownership of your own personal low carb approach, you will understand that YOU must count the carbs on what you eat and take responsibility -- and we provide a tool to help in that. Several actually. There's an online carb counter here, useful for basic foods and for working out the carbs in recipes, and a hidden carbs inspector for VERIFYING the labels on made products (see the orange menu bar above, click on TOOLS, for either of these handy items).

Hope this helps you get started.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 68/635/55
BF:
Progress:

I think I am addicted to the Atkins Choc peanut bar.
I enjoy the atkins diet however I still get bored and tired late afternoon and have tried other snacks however the Atkins bars really help me.

Do you really think if I am not losing weight it is the Atkins bars.

Regards

Leonie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I found when I ate those type of bars on a regular basis I stop losing weight. I now keep one in my briefcase, car and desk for an emergency only. I also count all carbs listed, not just the impact carbs. If you are not losing, they could be the reason.