Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 00:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 180/173/145
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Low carb and heartburn...can it help?

I've been lowcarbing for 14 days now, and have noticed a remarkable difference in two areas.

1. Sleep. Wow! I can sleep! And I don't wake up, and I stay asleep all night. Wow.

2. Heartburn. It's gone. Today I ate a couple of sushi pieces, and within an hour of eating, I swear, TABLESPOONS of rice, I had heartburn!

Is it possible that low carb can actually resolve heartburn issues?

My father died of esophogal cancer due to acid reflux. The last year or so, I've started having unexplainable heartburn. Does anybody have any info??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 05:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi hulagirl, Yes LC'ing can eliminate heartburn. It has for me. Just about everything I ate before starting Atkins gave me heartburn. I was constantly taking pepcid ac and tums. I have been LC'ing now for 7 months and have not had any heartburn at all.

Good Luck,

Bill
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 06:13

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Stick with LC...

and you probably will never have that heartburn again. For me, I think it was the grains. Rice didn't bother me too much. But we are all different. Fortunately, we know what to do about it now. To test it, have the same sushi without the rice, see what happens, because if you didn't make, heaven knows what was in it! My daughter can't handle too much milk or she gets the acid reflux. It's just a matter of weeding out the offending foods.

Sounds like you are on the right track! Best of luck to you!

Amy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 09:38

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Definately,,,,,,

Since low carbing, I never get heartburn, unless I have a cocktail. It is awesome. I don't even have a bottle of tums in my house anymore!!!!!!!! Isn't LCing awesome..

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 09:55

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Me too

I constantly had heart burn, before starting low carb WOE. I have had a couple of bouts of HB since March, but only when I had strayed from LC.... that'll teach me! I have replaced the TUMS that I kept in my desk drawer with vitamins

Akiwican
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 10:46
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Amazing!

I can't believe my ears! No more heartburn! How wonderful!

Thanks for the information guys. I am certainly going to start testing which foods help, and which hurt (literally)!

Mahalo Nui Loa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 170/147/130 Female 5 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hula Girl, acid reflux disease (which I have), is caused by the valve between the stomach and esphogas not closing properly, not by what you eat although that can make it worse. The constant backup of acid will indeed cause a cancer in some cases. If you think you have it, having severe heartburn more than 3 times a week, get it checked out. Nexeum has been a lifesaver for me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 19:01
Registered Member

BF:
Post Thanks Bertha

My father defiinitely had acid reflux. But I have never had anything but just nasty heartburn.

I appreciate you explaining it more clearly. Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 10:52

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Hi Hulagirl!

I had been prescribed Prilosec for my heartburn and had been taking it for almost 4 years. I started this WOL on Jan 2 of this year - by May, my heartburn was completely gone!

I just went to the doctors for my checkup and my doctor is very excited about not using the Prilosec anymore. Also, I will be getting my blood checked next month - might be able to stop taking my glucophage for diabetes, too!

My doc has embraced this WOL - I am very happy cuz I didn't want to stop seeing her because of my WOL!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 18:05

Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Hulagirl,

I have acid reflux, have had it for years and took 2 zantac a day which I supplemented with Tums - but the burning never went away. Since LCing (4 mos) I've only had very occasional, mild heartburn. I don't know what food was causing the heartburn but the improvement is just unbelievable. LCing has improved my health in so many ways and now I am no longer concerned that I am going to end up with cancer of the esophagus.

Summer
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 09:45
Registered Member

Stats: 196/185/150
BF:
Progress: 24%

Before low carbing I had to sleep sitting up practically every night because of the acid. Greasy things seemed to set it off more than anything..so I thought. Since May I have been sleeping well with one flattened out pillow. Now if the temperatures would go down to "livable" then it would be heaven!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 10:26

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default About Zantac

When I started LCing, I was taking one OTC Zantac a night for acid reflux. I would take TUMS during the day. Like AKS, I spent a lot of nights sitting up. Soon after starting TSP, I tried stopping the Zantac and still had lots of trouble, so I went back to it and just kept it up. I was able to sleep flat through the night and seldom needed TUMS.

After about 4 1/2 months of TSP, my reflux started getting worse. I blamed it on eating too many carbs, which I was doing, and other things, but the one thing it seems to have been. I tried lowering my carbs and cutting out certain foods, but nothing helped. Even taking TUMS, which had always helped me more than anything.

Then, finally, after almost 2 months of increasing pain, I suddenly figured that it might be the Zantac. I quit the Zantac a week ago and my problems are subsiding. My theory is that the LCing "cured" the acid reflux (but not as quickly as I had expected), so the Zantac acted the opposite of what it is supposed to. Carbs, IMHO, cause or exacerbate acid reflux. Zantac counteracts that problem. When you no longer eat enough carbs to cause the problem, Zantac is still trying to counteract the problem. Thus, eventually, it causes the problem.

Just my observations.

;-Deb
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 16:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Talking sugar can be the cause

There have been recent articles that sugar may be part of the problem. IF you have that little bacteria that can cause ulcers (a simple blood test can tell). It seems the little buggers LOVE sugar!

Complex carbs shouldn't be an issue, but it could also be the way your body breaks it down...or the way your body signals an intolerace or allergy!

Another thing with reflux....when we gain weight, at least to some degree, the diaphragm is pushed up making reflux worse.

I'm new to Atkins and haven't noticed any improvement in indigestion....of course I'm still taking my meds too. (a little bit more complex problems with me....I have reflux AND trouble swallowing due to the muscle being too tight!)

I've been taking prilosec for about 6 years...twice a day.....and I would just LOVE to be able to stop that med!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:32
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile My story

I have acid reflux, plus a hiatal Hernia, which never got to heal.
I was taking two Zantax morning and at night. No relief.
I couldn't eat mexican food, italian food, nothing spicy.
Then LCing came into my life. I have been acid free for a whole year. I spice my food or "bam" as my family calls it. I own 6 different peppers in my spice cabinet.
And you wonder why I love low carbing???
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 06:47

Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Cindy Sue -

If you see this, have you been diagnosed with achalasia (sp?)? I have it too. I can't PM you but if you ever want to chat, please drop by my journal. I'm in the M's under "Marie's Journey."