Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:50

Plan: Swartzbein Principal
Stats: 230/229/125
BF:
Progress: 1%
Angry In ketosis, gained weight?

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself. I just started low-carbing four days ago. Things seem to be going well and I've suck closely to the plan. I am in ketosis and feel ok except for some mild leg cramps. However, I have gained two pounds! It is not my TOM or even near it. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what would cause it? If I'm in ketosis I must be burning fat, right?

I have been eating the low-carb pasta (but only about a half cup) and bread (two slices so far). But I've stayed in ketosis so this isn't the problem I don't think.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if I should maybe just ignore the scale? My clothes feel looser, too. How could this be if I gained weight?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Becky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:56

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Are you exercising? im not familiar with the plan you are doing. But you could be retaining a bit of fluid from something salty. i know there are days i weigh a couple lbs more than the day before to loose those 2 lbs the next day.. its normal as far as i know if your clothes feel looser than i wouldnt worry about it for the moment.. you weight will fluxuate... GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME ABOARD.

Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 11:25

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Is it possible you're not drinking enough water? Low carb is a natural diuretic. It sounds from the leg cramps that you're losing electrolytes too. My advice is to make sure you drink 8 glasses of water a day at a bare minimum. Also... potassium, calcium, and magnesium are all known to help with electrolyte loss and leg aches.

And just a touch of nonessential advice... stay off the scale. It's best for most of us to weigh less often, say once a week on a Sunday or Monday morning. That's just my two cents, a lot of people get a bit obsessed with the scale.

Hope you're liking your plan!

Angela
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:30
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Your profiles says that you are following the Swartzbein Principle. I just finished reading that book and it says very clearly in the book that you should not be in ketosis if you are following her plan. She is very anti-ketosis. She also says that following her plan may lead to an initial weight gain if you have been following a lowfat diet previously and need to rebuild your muscles.

If you are looking for faster weight loss, you might want to consider following Atkins, not the Swartzbein Principle. I think that the Swartzbein Principle has a lot to recommend it, but it is not claiming to be a system of fast weight loss.

I also want to point out that a two pound gain is within the range of normal weight fluctuation. Whatever plan you are following, you probably should not get weighed too frequently if normal fluctuations are going to upset you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 22:20

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I just wanted to second the water comment. I have found that if I don't drink AT LEAST 120 ounces of water a day I don't lose much weight on this diet. On days where I exercise I drink probably close to 200 ounces of water.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 09:51

Plan: shwarzbein/protein power
Stats: 165/135/125
BF:
Progress: 75%

If you are following the schwarzbein program, you should not be in ketosis. She also states in her book that if your body needs to heal from burned out or damaged adrenal glands and insulin resistant status that you may gain some weight initially. Hers is not really a weight loss program per say but she intends it to be a healing program. Weight loss is a side benefit for many but not all. You may want to go back and review the book. Also there are a few long time Schwarzbeiners here. Check in the Schwarzbein forum.