Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 23:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/238/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Questions from England

Hello, I have just decided to try this new way of eating as I need to lose 8 stone (112 punds) and yesterday (my 51st birthday) was told that I am an incipient diabetic who has sleep apnoea. Not the best birthday ever!
Forgive me if this question is answered elsewhere, but are there any conversions for the recipes (quantities and equivalent items) that are on this site for those of us who live in England? As an example, there is a recipe for Guilt Free Chocolate and Banana Pancakes
1 scoop of protein powder (chocolate works best) - can we get this, and if so, where and what brand name(s)?
1 package of splenda - I think that this is a sugar substitute - what is the UK equivalent, and what size is a "package"?
1/2 package of oatmeal - again, what size is a package?
Also, are there any English recipes anywhere? And are there any ready-made eating plans to simplify my life?
Many thanks and wish me success!
Lynne
Nottingham, England
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default Hi

Hi Lynne, I'm LCing in England too and am also insulin resistant, heading for type II diabetes.
We have our own forum (UK) if you look down the lists when the Forum home page comes on and it covers lots of these issues - weights and measures, sources of stuff, what the American names for things mean.
You can buy Splenda by mail order from Carbolow, an English company, it has a website, www.carbolow.com. They have a £5 postage charge, so you might as well buy lots of other goodies while you're at it!
Protein powder can be bought from healthfood shops in various flavours, body builders use it, though read the label very carefully - some are straight protein, others have very high carbs too as they're used for weight gain!
There are some excellent recipe sections in the Forum, again look down the list to find them - especially look out anything by Karen.
Wishing you all the best. BTW are you keeping a journal? Take care, Jay