Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Cool Starting Akins

Hi,

My name is Kathy and I am new here and to Atkins. I plan on starting Akins on October 6. For the last two weeks I have been researching it and I am reading the book. I have done Weight Watchers in the past and it has worked well for me but I have a problem with eating too much carbohydrates. In Dr. Atkins book I am what you would consider the type 2 person. I forget what chapter it is but the description fits me perfectly. Anyway, I am ready to get started.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 00:29

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello Kathy,
Welcome to the forum. I love Atkins and have had such good results with it as has my husband. He has lost 61 pounds and I have lost 56. I have done Weight Watchers in the past (am a life member) but it didn't work for me in the long run as I was always hungry. With Atkins it isn't like that...if you are hungry you are suppose to eat an allowed food. This is something I can do for life which is the ultimate "secret" for getting a diet to work. Most anything will work short term but you have to find something you can live with enough to change your lifestyle to. Atkins is it for me. You will like this forum. There is all kinds of information and support to be found. Let me be the first to wish you luck and say welcome aboard the low-carb wagon!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:01
Registered Member

Stats: 241/196/140 Female 64 in
BF:?????
Progress: 45%

Welcome and good luck! I am not an experienced dieter. Until August, I had never really tried to diet. This WOL is really working for me. I am usually satisfied and am definitely loosing pounds and inches. Keep in touch and check this board often. You will get valuable information.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

Hi Kathy,

I think you'll be thrilled by the results once you take the plunge. I think you are so smart to be doing your research and readings first- then when and if you do go for it-you''ll be better prepared! Good luck, whatever you decide!
Kathy (yes, another 'Kathy'!)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:24

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Kathy--Sounds like you have done your homework--Good for you. Just want to welcome you to the forum and to our WOE--ie- our way of eating. I am also an ex-weight-watcher but the big difference I see is that on this diet--I don't get hungry all the time and the cravings are very diminished compared to when I WW. Then I was hungry all the time. Anyway--Congratulations on doing something good for yourself and stop by our journals so we get a chance to get to know you better. Good luck!! Alice
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:33
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi Kathy:

Welcome to the Forum! I have had some success but still have a long way to go. Here are some suggestions:

1. NO CHEATS - As Dr. Atkins says, one tablespoon of Potato Salad can set your diet back a week. This is the easiest diet you have ever tried, but the least forgiving. You absolutely must keep your carbs down under your critical carb level (under 20 the first two weeks if you are practicing the traditional Atkins Diet)
2. Get Ketosis strips to monitor if you are in ketosis... great mental boost
3. Spend at least 30 minutes a day on this forum
4. Watch EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. Don't frustrate yourself by thinking you are on the diet and finding out later that the cough medicine you are taking or the chewing gum you like is adding hidden carbs and keeping you from losing weight.

I look forward to tracking your success! Mike