Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 04:01

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default need help and answers.

Hi guys, i posted these questions on other threads, but haven't had any luck in a few days with answers, so here goes.... I am cutting out dairy as an experiment. I already feel better, but am concerned about a number of things...

How can I up my calories having cut out the cheese and CREAM. ( was overdoing it with the cream). I eat as much oil as I can, I can't get any decent protein shakes over here, they really make me gag with all the AS and they have a grainy texture. ick.

Speaking of protein, I asked about how much it is "safe" (if, indeed, safety is an issue) to actually consume? I know about the minimum requirements, but no one seems to talk about the upper end of the scale... Should I be snacking on cold steak to try and up my calories?

Can I take soy milk in my decaf? It is low carb, although I think that here in Ireland, the fibre is already subtracted from the carb count, as the fibre count is often higher than the carbs... so that would make sense, wouldn't it?

I began to get a little paranoid that my body has only been burning dietary fat in Ketosis, not my body fat, as that doesn't seem to be going down (flippin' body fat monitor again). Is that possible?

Oh, and I can't find pork rinds anywhere on this little Island at the edge of Europe.

So, can anyone help me?

Thanks, Doods.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/148/133
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hiya doods

I hope I can help you answer some questions, You can really eat as much protein and fat as you like, you will find you can't eat all that much ad you get fed up and full quite quick, this will up your calories, also peanut butter, I eat in out of the jar in a spoon. As for soya milk I am not sure, yes they have taken out the fibre content over here, I drink mine black since I started this wol, get used to it reaL quick, Can you not get pork rinds from asda ,tesco ,coop, safeway? I personally think they taste yuck. Hope this helps. keep it up

bye scotlass
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 06:53

BF:

Thanks Scotlass, That did help somewhat. We only have Tesco over here of the supermarkets you mentioned, and I can't find them there, I guess they are just not an "Irish" thing, which is weird, considering we were all brought up on bacon and cabbage! Not a bad diet now that I think of it, just minus the inevitable spud. I had quit peanut butter, thinking it was a cause of slow losing, but I may go to the health food shop (all the other brands seems to have icky sugar and bad oils in them) and pick some up, now that I am blaming dairy. What brand of peanut butter do you eat? Thanks again for your help. Doods.
Oh, and does anyone have an opinion on how many eggs it is good to eat a day? I know the doc says that they are free, but you know????? I am hanging on to that old fear of going over 2 a day. Yesterday I ate five and was totally paranoid I would keel over from a heart attack. Of course I never feel this way way when i chug buckets of cream, it is purely an egg thing.

Doods.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 07:58

BF:

Oh, and it's not the case that I am hungry and denying myself. Like most people, it is the opposite problem. I have no appetite, and since giving up dairy, am falling way short on calories. Like I said, I eat all the oil I possibly can mangage, and can't get a decent protein shake. there is also only so much peanut butter I can ingest, and it is not the lowest in carbs, plus the fact that peanuts lie and are not really nuts at all. So... any hints guys?
Doods
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hi Doodles. I am not sure where you are with your woe as far as carb grams go but I snack on nuts - usually pistachio. Pistachios are higher in carbs ( I think there are like 6-8 grams per serving) than say macadamia but I like the taste better (salty and slightly sweet) and I find that shelling them inhibits me from eating too many at one time. Plus they are loaded with good fat and are very calorie dense. Ya just have to watch the carbs. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 08:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Doods, not sure about the soy milk but I can help with the other questions:

Quote:
How can I up my calories having cut out the cheese and CREAM. ( was overdoing it with the cream).

More butter and mayo; try egg salads/ chicken salads and use 2x the mayo; smother your veggies in butter. Eat the skin off the chicken. Here's a good one: Chicken Wings! Macadamia Nuts = 2 oz has over 400 calories.

Quote:
Speaking of protein, I asked about how much it is "safe" (if, indeed, safety is an issue) to actually consume?

As long as your kidneys are healthy there really isnt a limit. It's possible to eat only so much protein, ask anyone doing a Stillman day I am following BFL / PP and my minimum requirements are now around 183g a day (Lean body mass x 1.35g = minimum requirement). How much are you eating on average?

Quote:
I began to get a little paranoid that my body has only been burning dietary fat in Ketosis, not my body fat, as that doesn't seem to be going down (flippin' body fat monitor again). Is that possible?

Don't overthink it too much, Doods. Your body needs a certain amount of energy to function; unless you're eating thousands of calories of fat a day it has to dip into your fat stores. Try testing your ketones early in the morning before you've eaten anything to reasure yourself.

HTH,
Nat

Last edited by Natrushka : Tue, Nov-27-01 at 09:05.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 08:42

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Um... does your lean body mass include bones and water, etc.?
I'm sure it does, but when I hear "lean body mass" I think "meat".

So I'm 41% fat (so the scale at Hi-Health said)
179lbs x .59 = 105.61lbs x 1.35g = 142.57g

Yes? Or does my weight have to be in kg?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 09:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Nope, Meek that sounds good assuming you're lifting weights on a regular basis. Remember though 1.35g / lb of LBM is for someone lifting weights and working out. Guidlines supplied by Protein Power for people doing less strenuous workouts ranges from .6g - .9g per lb of body weight. I was giving Doodle an example of safe, recommended high protein intake.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 09:17

BF:

Don't overthink it too much, Doods.

HTH,
Nat [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL! Overthink is my middle name Nat! I keep myself awake at night. Thanks so much for the help, Doods.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 10:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Don't trim the fat from meat, eat chicken legs and thighs rather than breasts. Drizzle olive oil, or make a sauce from lemon and butter or olive oil for your food.

I would be wary of nuts and peanuts. It's hard to stop at an ounce.

With the cream, were you making things with cream and putting artificial sweetener in it?

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 10:44

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Pork Rinds

Don't worry about the pork rinds- your not missing anything.
They make me gag!!

I like to snack on leftover chicken thighs, wings, and pork spareribs. Yum Yum. I also have nuts each day (I get the raw ones in the shell so it takes longer to crack them open and eat them- so the snacking urge kind of subsides while I am having a few)

Kassy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:20

BF:

Thanks people, you have all helped so much.
Karen, no I wasn't using AS in the whipped cream, I simply found myself having half a cup in my decaf a couple times a day, or just hovering over the bowl with a spoon! I LOVE cream. just the way it is. In fact I miss it. WAh