Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/280/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:
Question The Plateau

I started the Atkins diet in early July and lost 20 lbs very rapidly. Now I seem to be on a plateau that I understand can last for a month or more. I'm in week three of the plateau and keeping the carbs in the low twenties and below range and the Kytostix say my burn rate ranges between small and moderate consistently. Is there a way to break through the plateau or do you just have to wait it out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

i was in a plateau as well a while ago! I dont want to say this like its a good thing do it. But I went to a shower a few weeks back while in my stall, I ate whatever, next day went back on it and lost 10lbs in 2 weeks !!! I dont know how that works but it was great. Last night I had a doughnut and 2 small pizza bagel bites and this morning down 1/2 pound!!!! dont ask I have no idea, maybe someone else knows lol. Maybe try it once dont pig out just speed it up and then do atkins full force the next 2 weeks.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I find if I change my diet a bit I can break those plateaus. Try increasing your calorie intake for a couple days then then drop back to your typical range. Maybe even increase your carbs a little for a couple days. I think sometimes your body will adapt to your usual diet so mix it up a little. Adding more exercise will certainly help too. Even though you are not losing weight you may be losing inches so be sure to measure yourself in some way.