Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:26

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default average amount of fat

I'm sure someone has addressed this before but I can't seem to find it easily...
What is the average amount of fat you all consume by the end of the day? I seem to be averaging out anywhere between 70-100 grams and in my old "fat free" mentality it still gives me panic attacks...
Is it OK to be eating that much fat?
I feel great, but on paper it just looks like soooo much excess.
If you all use Fitday, what do you percentages of fat/protein/carbs look like at the end of an average day?
I guess I just want to make sure I'm on par with the rest.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:43

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Most of us eat at least 70 percent of our daily intake in fat

So you are right on the mark!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:44

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Smile fat

Fran,

From what I've heard on this board, we are supposed to be eating about 70%. I know it sounds like a lot, but I find that when I plug in my food for the day on fitday, its usually around there. Just try to use a lot of butter and olive oil, that's what I do. I don't use fitday very often (I find it too slow and I'm kinda impatient!) but its a help occasionally.

Good luck! Grace
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 18:53

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default fat %

I have to admit that the fat % has gone down over the holiday period but the alcohol has gone up.

Consequently the weight did not go down and I am back at induction levels for a few days.

But before my "excess" I was averaging about 60 -65% on fitday
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 19:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I regularly eat over 100g fat daily, more like 120g. This comes to approx. 65% of my day's calories. I eat the skin from my chicken, use mayo, olive oil and butter.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:14

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Ditto -- I just checked a week's worth of typical eating in Fitday and was eating 100 g of protein, 100 g of fat most days.

I totally understand the concern about fat, which I too had at the beginning of all this. (all those years of propaganda are hard to shake!) I strongly recommend reading the Taubes article from Science last year:

http://ajdubre.tripod.com/Health/So...ietaryFat0.html

And check out Protein Power Lifeplan from the library, if you haven't read it already, and follow their recommendations about good fats. I've switched to organic, free range chicken eggs and grass-fed beef, and feel much better about doing that--and get the bonus of not eating all those hormones and antibiotics that commercial animal products have in them!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:32

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 40%

I've read the original PP book about 8 months ago when I started this WOE...I sort of fell off the wagon around the holiday season and put back on about 5 pounds.
I always stayed true to the plan all along, and the only difference is that this time I'm using the Fitday website as well...that's when I started to realize about the amount of fat I was consuming (again, to see it in writing is a bit different!) and just wanted to double check with you guys...
I can tell you that it for sure works for me...despite the five pound gain (??water) I feel soooo much better and I look better too (at least I think so...my hubby too)
In fact, I'm going on a trip at the end of January and this week I bought the first bikini I have ever purchased in my entire life!
Of course the regular weight training exercise helps to just "bring it all together" so to speak
Anyway you've eased my concerns about the fat...thanx much