Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sore muscles

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about sore muscles in the induction phase? I read the book a while ago, and have not had any luck finding it in my fog, so I can't remember what was said if anything, on sore muscles.
I skipped the gym today because I wanted extra sleep, and so there has been no exercise today yet i still have kinda sore muscles.
When I am at the gym I don't work out so strenously that I ache for hours afterward, but I know when I have worked muscles.
Any ideas or tips? I feel as though I have to constantly stretch.
I was so happy to have a large decaf coffee with cream and sweetner today. I really missed the coffee thing.
I am also really excited to try a whole bunch of new recipes I found for fast meals since I am always on the go, except when I am at home.
Any info is greatly appreciated!
Inanna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Inanna,

How long have you been going to the gym or exercising? It could just be soreness from working out in general.

On Atkins you lose alot of minerals, nutrients and water. Without these your muscles will be sore and cramp up. How is your water intake? You want to at least get in 64 ounces of water a day.

Stretching when your muscles are sore is not always a good idea either. Your muscles need rest not more of a workout. Stretching them is working them out. So I say take a rest!! Let those muscles heal.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Sore muscles

Quote:
Originally posted by Inanna
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about sore muscles in the induction phase? I read the book a while ago, and have not had any luck finding it in my fog, so I can't remember what was said if anything, on sore muscles.
Inanna, sounds like a mineral / vitamin deficiency - the muscle soreness and the brain fog!

Here's some information on the two big supplements (potassium for the brain fog) and cal/magnesium (for the muscle spasms, soreness):

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...sium#post466364

I had those same sore muscles, particularly in the legs, when I started LC. The magnesium / calcium took care of the problem right away.

Hope you're feeling better soon,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

I have been working out since about December 16th or so. Not every day while I was away but pretty much. Today is the first day I've skipped since last sunday.
I will look into the magnesium, it sounds like I may need a supplement. I am a poor student right now (graduating in 13 weeks and counting), but will see what I can do to get my hands on some stuff.
Thanks for the info!
Inanna
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:02

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I got really bad leg cramps in the beginning...potassium took care of it over night