Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/181/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Don't get SBD?

I am trying to understand without investing in another diet book (p.s. contacted the local Library I would be 343 person on the wait list) what the difference is with the SBD and Atkins? I've been reading sample menu's and everything I've read is the same thing you eat on Atkins the 1st 2 weeks. However, those who have switched lost 5 lbs in the 1st week. Please help understand?

The 1st 2 weeks of SBD your choices should be low fat, correct? The one thing I like is adding more fruit and veggies, it's kind like WW, right?

Please help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 183/169/145 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%

Most of the foods on the list for Phase 1 of SB are the same as Atkins. The difference is that you don't have to limit the veggies. In Atkins induction you may be able to have the same veggies, but you would have to limit them to 1 1/2 cups. With SB you can have much more than that. Also, you can have quite a few things that you would either have to severely limit on Atkins because of the higher carb count, or not have at all, such as tomatoes and onions. Also, you can have nonfat plain yogurt and milk, many kinds of beans (like black beans) and some other things.

The other difference is the fat. SB doesn't advocate low fat, but they advocate the right kind of fat. Saturated fat is very limited. You need to choose lean cuts of meat and no cream or full fat cheeses.

They are similar, but very different. I find that SB is much easier for me because of there is so much more variety. I thought staying away from full fat cheeses and giving up cream and cream cheese would be really hard for me, but I've found that the extra variety I get from the extra veggies, dairy and now that I'm in ph. 2, whole grains and fruit more than makes up for the loss of some of my old favorite fats. And SB is NOT low fat. I still eat about the same amount of fat, I just eat different kinds now.

This is the most helpful link I've found for South Beach. It has the most information that I've found. http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:40
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

It took me a little while to figure it all out when I switched from Atkins to SB. There is a smaller paperback SB book that is inexpensive that you might want to get called good fats and good carbs. Its like the cliff notes to South Beach Diet. The differences are very lean cuts of meat, specific types of meat such as turkey bacon instead of regular and only two pieces instead of unlimited. They are very specific in what types of meat are allowed such as only white meat in chicken and turkey. No butter or margerine, only olive oil, no full fat dressings.Still no fruit in phase one but there is a broader allowance of vegetables. There are alot of differences between the two, enough that you should get some type of SB book and read it. I wish I could put it all down in a post. Hope I didn't confuse you more, but it IS worth the trouble.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 00:06

Plan: SS and FFP
Stats: 216/201/160 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 27%

Emly, that's helpful info and a great link! Thanks!