Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 16:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Bread Making using a Bread Machine

My first experience making LC bread .......

Today I tried the Final Bread recipe found on this site and it did not rise

I tested the yeast - it was active.
I have an older machine - don't know if that could be the problem.

I was somewhat confused by the recipe directions. I used the dough cycle and the recipe said to take the dough out before it began the first rise and to have it rise elsewhere in a warm place. Well...... I noticed that the complete dough cycle on my machine is 2 hours and 25 min. At first I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to take it out during or after the dough cycle completed - so I removed it during wthe cycle when it seemed to have puffed up somewhat......but was not fluffy.

I then placed it in a warm oven on very low. It rose a wee bit more and then stayed there.

Basically it appears I have a half risen brick.

Can someone tell me what I might have done wrong?

I couldn't pass Chemistry in high school - could that be part of the problem?

Am I supposed to put all the ingredients in the machine and then after they are done mixing - immediately remove them? I guess this means I need to stand by the first half hour or so?

trying to be hopeful - baking neophyte barefoot! THANKS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, barefoot1. Do you mean THIS http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread116.html Final Bread recipe from the Readers' Recipe section?

If so, I recommend you do this exactly (same instructions with my comments in blue):

Quote:
Add ingredients to bread machine in the order recommended for your unit (usually means the wet stuff in the bottom, then the dry stuff and LAST the yeast, on top). Run the dough cycle. Remove the dough before the rising begins (after 39 minutes in my machine). (okay, when the machine stops going around and around, take the dough OUT). Dump the dough into a previously buttered non-stick pan. Wet (I prefer oil or butter) your hands to smooth and shape the loaf. Cover (I use a piece of plastic wrap) and let rise in a wam place for sixty to seventy minutes (and DON'T handle it in the middle of the rising, it'll fall down). Bake in a conventional over (yea, oven ) at 350F for 50 minutes.

Just step it through and don't change anything. SHOULD work reasonably well.