Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 21:05

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Question Yogurt carbs in question.

I was just reading about yogurt being Ok for this WOE and am wondering what the experts think. I sure dont want to blow it but why miss out if there is no need either.
Below is pasted the relative section on the carb content from an article at http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference". That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt (or even sugar-free ice cream later.)

So what do you think please
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 21:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, Bloom, it's true. The yoghurt must be full fat, it must be plain (no flavourings added) and it must contain at least 2 active bacterial cultures. The 12g of carbs per cup then become approx 4g. as the bateria eats the sugar.

Many of us doing BFL with a LC slant use yoghurt regularly - it bulks up shakes nicely and it goes great with berries as a treat.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 23:34

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Smile

Thanks NAT thats great news !
I havnt been going long yet and am in no way bored at the mo but its still good to have something else to play with.
I wouldnt of dared go there though without approval so thanks again I will add it to my list.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 06:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Question Inquiring minds want to know....

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
...it must contain at least 2 active bacterial cultures.

How do you know if it contains 2 active bacterial cultures? What do you look for on the label?

I spent time reading yogurt labels last weekend, and was horrified at the carb counts, even the plain yogourt.

Can anyone recommend a brand that is "safe" ? I have been avoiding yogurt and miss it dearly.