Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/197/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Cool Any Night Shift workers needing a buddy?

Are there any night shift workers out there that are low carbing?
I have been on Atkins for about a month, I have lost about 13 lbs so far.
What I have discovered is how the new way of life has affected my alertness level. My job requires me to be alert at all times.
I used to really struggle through those last few hours of my shift in the wee hours of the morning. Driving the short distance home there were times I wondered how I got home.
Now, I have no problem! I do not crave sweets or things like potato chips. I wish I had known about this years ago, it really would have helped a great deal.
I pack my food while I make dinner for the family. I also keep quick supplies like the fresh pack tuna, pre packaged salad mix,
cheese cubes and of course some Advantage bars at work.

I just wondered if there was anyone else who needed a buddy who also works 3rd shift.
Looking forward to sharing threads!
stormyzkid
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 23:23

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

hey stormy... i too work third shift 4 nights a week ( actually 12 hour shifts ) ... i'll be your bud... you'll find a few others on here that work nights... like beccarn shes a nurse ...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 00:01
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Wow! That was a fast reply!
Thanks, I am happy I have a buddy
I am not a nurse but an Emergency Communications Operator,
a.k.a. 911 operator. We work a combination of 12 hour and 8 hour shifts. We work 12, 8, off a day, 12, 8, off 2 days.
Like most 3rd shifters, on my days off, I live a dayshift life.
I am married with grown children and my husband just recently took a very early retirement.
When I started Atkins, my husband loosely followed what I was doing, to a degree. He cut back on eating bread and didn't have any rice or potatoes for the month. Surprisingly he lost 10lbs without even trying very hard!
I do hope he keeps it up though. I think even he was quite surprised.
When I weighed today at the supermarket, I had hoped to weigh 219 or less. I was happy when it read 217!
My next goal is 209. That is because I want to be out of the double digits.
My goals are as follows:
209,199. The goal is to be at 199 or less by my birthday month, which is October. I think this is an reasonable and attainable goal since this is mid May.
When I reach 199, I will re-assess my goals.
Till later!
Till the next thread
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 00:04

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

im a dispatch supervisor of a trucking company.. ...

im 21 years old, not married but dating a great guy.. no kids unless english bulldog puppies count hehe
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 01:16

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Night Shift worker, too1

Hi, there!

I work night shift too (right now as a matter of fact ). I work at 2 hospitals, one in a call center for 8 hospitals, managing codes, etc. and the other managing codes, answering phones, computer work, admitting patients, booking ORs....on and on!!

I'm married with 3 kids (all boys) ages almost 14, 12 and 5 1/2. My husband works nights, too, and we work opposite each other. I work half the week and he works the other half, with a few day shifts on my part, every once in awhile. Works great with having a family. I've been doing steady nights for almost 5 years, but worked them regularly for 5 years before that.

ttfn,

Nicole
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 03:09
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hey there

Yes working nights...at least for right now. I work 12 1/2 hour shifts 5days on 5days off 2 days on 2 days off.

I am night shift charge nurse at Whiteriver Indian Hospital on the Apache Indian reservation in the beautiful White Mountains of Arizona

I have access to the internet at work and usually check the forumn several times a night unless we are slammed

I'd love to be a buddy too......Come and vist me in my journal anytime!!!

now you go make a journal so all your buddies can vist you in there

bYE YA
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 03:23

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's nice to know that somebody is out there even in the middle of the night. Sure, it's the middle of the day SOMEWHERE on the planet, but in your own 'neck of the woods' is great!

Hope your shift is going well. Holiday Monday (stat) so work load is a bit lighter tonight, which is ALWAYS nice

take care,

Nicole
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 01:24
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb Hey there Night Shifters!

This is a first in the month for me. I, for some reason felt like munching. I ended up eating too many macadamia nuts. I know better and should have measured them out. Oh well, I will behave better in the future.
I have been walking around our building on my lunch hour. This is Florida and it is HOT! Even at 1AM it can be pretty warm.
It's great if you are sitting around sipping a cool drink, but if you are trying to power walk it can be a sweaty affair. Good thing we have showers available to us!

I ordered some Atkins products that I couldn't find locally direct from the catalog. I splurged and bought the souffle's variety pack. A co-worker and I split the cost and items. I am here to tell you they are yummy, albeit a bit smaller than I thought they would be. Our local grocer said that if we gave him the UPC codes, he would attempt to order these things in for us and give them a try in his store. At least this way we could avoid the cold pack shipping charge.

Maybe if this is something you would like to try, your grocer would do the same. I will give you the UPC codes if you'd like. That is what they need evidently.

The Endulge ice cream is great and can be nice for a change.
I am not a big ice cream eater though.
I do like the FFSF (fat free sugar free) jello topped with whipped cream for snack.

I'll check back in with you in a day or so. This week I worked a lot of overtime, and next week will be even more so.
We are gearing up for our summer storm season. We can just about set our watch to it in the summer. Right around 4pm.
and lasts for a few hours. Just enough to mess up rush hour traffic.

Ya'll stay on your programs.
Be good!
Later,
Stormyzkid

Last edited by stormyzkid : Wed, May-21-03 at 01:26.