Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up Drop in wheat consumption worries US grain trade, because of low-carb diets.

Drop in wheat consumption worries US grain trade

Reuters, 01.30.03, 3:35 PM ET

By Carey Gillam

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., Jan 30 (Reuters) - Farmers, millers and others in the U.S. wheat industry are facing a decline in wheat consumption that jeopardizes sales for everyone from farmers to bagel makers, a wheat expert said Thursday.

"The industry is very worried about this," said Dave Green, director of quality control for Archer Daniels Midland Co.'s (nyse: ADM - news - people) milling unit, who addressed wheat industry leaders meeting in Albuquerque, New Mexico this week.

Green said a combination of factors, most notably a trend toward high-protein, low carbohydrate consumption patterns fueled by the popular Atkins Diet, were to blame for the declining consumption.

"What the Atkins diet represents is a realization we're eating too many calories," Green said.

Unfortunately for the wheat industry, consumers are associating bread, pasta, pastry products, cookies, crackers, and other wheat-based products high in carbohydrates with high calories, Green said.

Changes in consumer attitudes fueled a 4 percent decline in per capita annual U.S. wheat consumption from 1997 to 2001, according to research Green presented at the conference. Wheat consumption was 141 pounds per person in 2001 compared to 147 pounds in 1997, he said.

The high-protein diet formulated by Dr. Robert Atkins, marketed through his books and diet food programs, comes at a time when baked goods and other wheat products have come under scrutiny for other reasons as well.

Research into problems associated with trans fats, found in many pastry products, has hurt consumption, as has research that indicates potential health problems related to acrylamide, a carcinogen found in some fried and baked products.

And a movement toward extending the shelf life of baked foods is hurting farmers and wheat millers because it reduces waste and demand, Green said.

The challenges are overwhelming the $1.2 million budget of the Wheat Foods Council, which does little generic advertising to promote the benefits of grains-based foods, Green noted. He said more money is needed from the industry to drive a turnaround in consumption.

"We need to fight the battle. We need to be out there educating people," he said.

One bright spot for the U.S. wheat industry is a trend toward increased tortilla consumption, Green said.

Tortillas are the second top-selling bread product, with per capita consumption of nine pounds a year. The industry has grown to about $4 billion in sales, up from 57 percent in 1996, according to the research presented at the conference.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newsw.../rtr865241.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:43

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

Great find, Tamarian!

Dear Wheat Council,

You need to educate US? Grow grass on those fields. Raise cattle. Do us all a favor.

Thanks,

Already Educated
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Well seriously!
I do not want to feed wheat to my cattle, I want them grass fed.
On the other hand the GIRLS (chickens) LOVE Wheat!
Mmmm..they maka those great eggs for me!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: Drop in wheat consumption worries US grain trade, because of low-carb diets.

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
"What the Atkins diet represents is a realization we're eating too many calories," Green said.

Unfortunately for the wheat industry, consumers are associating bread, pasta, pastry products, cookies, crackers, and other wheat-based products high in carbohydrates with high calories, Green said.

Ummm...no, that's not quite it. It was the realization that eating too many carbs of the wrong types such as those listed above was causing sky-high blood sugars and giving me insulin resistance. Who do they think they're kidding (besides themselves)?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:04

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default They are still stuck

In high calorie mode..
Poor people

Nedra
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/194/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Well lets do hope they get it and start producing some low carb bread that doesn't taste like cardboard.
Erika
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 18:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm surprised they didn't mention the grains/leaky gut syndrome/autoimmune diseases angle. Is this a factor? I'm not too familiar with it, only what I've read in Protein Power, but you'd think more people would be jumping off the grain bandwagon than just LC weight loss folks.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 09:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Nature's Own just releases a Reduced Carb bread. It is 7 total carbs less 2 fiber carbs = 5 carbs per slice. Look for it on your grocer's shelves. It just was released the end of January. I live in the South and just bought some yesterday for the first time.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 09:28

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default but does it taste good??

I would much rather use real good quality whole wheat a little than some of the low carb breads I have eaten.
Whats it like?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 10:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Well, I just toasted a slice and put butter on it. All I can say is TASTY! NOt like my whole grain breads I am used to, but nice. A friend put some 50/50 raspberry spread on hers and said it soaked right in and made the bread a tad bit softer. I liked it with the butter very much.

I am going to finally have a BLT this week! Oh yum!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:18

Plan: PP
Stats: 275/150/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I sometimes eat Sprouted Soy Nut Crunch Bread - the brand is either Trader Joe's or WestSoy, I can't remember. It's like 7 or 9 grams of carbs per slice. I also enjoy a similar Sprouted Hemp Bread, which has 12-13 carbs per slice.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:39

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%
Default wanna put my 2cent..

lowcarb stuff cost a lot. I often use whole wheat bread in smaller portion( half a slice at induction and now one slice). once you are near your goal and have established your carb threshold, it is smooth sailing..