Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 09:02

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default Emotional Eating

I just wanted to know who else deals with emotional eating. I wnat to take this opportunity to admit I sometimes just can't handle things and turn to food!! Even though I am on atkins, and I do feel better now that the withdrawal symptoms are subsiding , I know when things get rough in life I'll have to struggle with handling my emotions.

Its really soo frustrating sometimes. You think you canhandle anything and then something happens that makes you sad, or angry and BOOM you want HAGEN DAZ.

So like I"ve said in my other posts, I've come back to Atkins but with the determination to not only eat better but to be healthier and that also means mentally and psychologically and emotinally. I wnat to learn to "deal" with things instead of turn to food!

How do you all deal and not turn to food for comfort???

Piera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I Concur!

I have the same problems. Atkins makes it easier because during the early phases, we are protected from appetite and we also virtually eliminate the physical cravings.

I have found that when the psychological needs strike, about the only thing that gets rid of them is to do something active. It seems that anything works; exercise, cleaning, yard work, going somewhere and walking around. A good conversation, or debate help too. The worst thing is to just sit there and do nothing.

Fortunately, if we are circumspect about it, we can have some small snacks, such as nuts, or a little cheese. The trick is not to let the cravings cause you to eat too much. So I generally abstain from them if the cause is psychological. I think determination to succeed is probably the most important cure.

When you feel like caving in, go look in the mirror. I do that too. It helps. I think even in the future when I reach my goal weight, I'll use that technique to keep from snacking then too.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 09:14
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey-

There was a pretty good thread on this:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=88527

Also look for the self sabotage thread in the general low carb area. I think you will find lots of people who are dealing with the same thing.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 10:49

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Irrespective of my emotional state, there are certain foods I crave in perpetuity—Hagen-Das chocolate ice cream certainly qualifies. I’ve given this considerable thought since I’m absolutely certain that at some point in the future, the constant yearning for chocolate ice cream will inevitably become too overwhelming a temptation for me to resist; but, for now, I’m simply abstained from having them. I haven’t resorted to any tricks or substitutes because I don’t think anything will ever be effective in replacing or eliminating my urge for chocolate.

I understand and appreciate that everyone is different especially when it comes to both tastes and what foods we can or can’t live without. As a part of food-like self-realization I’ve experienced on this diet, I have realized with absolute certainty that chocolate ice cream is one thing I will never be willing to give up for the rest of my life. Sure, I might be able to abstain from it for a year, two years, even 5 years; but, not for eternity—for me, that is neither feasible, practical, nor desirable. In my view, a way of life should stipulate that one ought to eat in moderation what he/she likes occasionally.

Naturally, I realize that ideally one’s health is improved without any sugar intake what so ever. For those who are like me and have this pure love of chocolate, I would argue that having chocolate in moderation albeit sparingly would be infinitely more effective than lifetime abstinence. Lifetime abstinence would allow this temptation to fester itself until eventually the urge to binge becomes unbearable. We’ve all experienced this to some extent, right? So, I think with caution, eating what we like in moderation and giving into temptation sporadically would be much more effective in neutralizing the binges that are such an inherent danger of pro-longed avoidance especially of foods we really love.

I suppose this would be my proverbial two-cents.