Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/155/120 Female 5ft 7"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Bored with Atkins...

First off I really don't want to put anyone off doing atkins...I suppose my thread is more directed to people who are long term low carbers or people who aren't easily influened by other peoples experiences

Ok I have to say that i am getting slightly bored with the Atkins diet...I don't have the money/time to cook up extravegant meals and I am not a good cook anyway...i am so sick of meat, sometimes when it comes to eating I would prefer to not eat anything than eat another peice of meat. There are pretty much no special low carb/Atkins foods availabe where i live so i don't even have the option of having a little treat with some low carb bread or an Atkins shake/bar.....

I am beginning to be sick of all the things that i used to enjoy, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, cheese.....i could go on but i won't bore you to death with that..

I want to continue because it is working, all be it a little slower now than induction, which is fine, i can appreciate that you "trade more food choices for slower weight loss"....anyway rather than just give up completly and go back to my pre-Atkins way of eating i was considering that i would jump to doing a low fat type diet for a few weeks (and yes i believe all the crap about how low fat isn't the way to go) BUT! it's better than going back to my old eating habits right ? and after doing that for a few weeks, re-start Atkins Induction again and go like that to eleviate some of the boredom...

thoughts? opinions? experiences ? comments about how stupid I am for quitting ? whatever takes your fancy
ps And please, no suggestions as i what i can eat for variety, I know what i can eat....(no offence)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:03

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sarah,

Having been low-carbing since Feb, I can both appreciate and empathize your point of view here. Anything adhered to long enough where the novelty wears off will result in some semblance of boredom. For instance, even before low-carbing, there were countless evenings when I had no idea what to have for dinner, eventhough I had the option to choose from anything and everything under the Sun.

One significant difference between us is that I love meats to the point where I never tire of eating it even after every single day. Fish, seafood, and other assorted things, I can grow bored with; but, not beef, pork, chicken and assorted cheeses.

However, I appreciate that isn't the case for you, which, as you very saliently observed, will lead to boredom.

In my view, instead of making a drastic 180 degree change reverting back to low fat/high carb eating (though I can see where right now you're just bristling with excitement over eating all the things you've missed), why not just have some if these things you've missed in moderation? In my view, you can easily still adhere to low carbing without the draconian rules of either Atkins Induction or OWL. There is CAD, the Zone, and lots of other programs out there which will offer a wider breadth of options for you.

In the end, I believe in tinkering an eating regimen which is specifically suited for the respective individual. I have no problems with having occasional ice cream, chocolate cake, or eating bananas--which I do so with fervor. I'm the sort who feels it is impractical to abstain from the foods I like for a lifetime, and beyond that, it isn't something I'd ever willingly give up, even if I could.

Best of luck to you, irrespective of your choices. In my view, just try moderation with the foods you've missed incorporated into your present LC regimen. I think you'll notice your boredom is gone, and you'll still lose weight along with the LC benefits.

With kindest regards,

Frederick
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:18

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

Hi Frederick,
I am going to bug you again. Don't suppose you remeber what your typical daily menu was like while on induction and what it's like now. And if you do remember, would you be so kind as to post it?
I have a hard time finding people's so called "journals"....alot of times when I try to see, the wizard of Oz (or the administrator) tells me I am not allowed to view those sites?? Have a great day!

Hangin' in there,
Kay
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/155/120 Female 5ft 7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Frederick
Thank you so much for you wonderfully written and very prompt reply..you are very sweet (in a low carb type of way LOL) god aren't those jokes just the lamest!

Anyway I hear what you are saying and you are probably right that i should perhaps just continue low carb but allow myself to have the occasional dose of some foods that i am missing.....You really hit the nail on the head with your "though I can see where right now you're just bristling with excitement over eating all the things you've missed" I really am! and it's not for ice-cream, sweets or chocolate really it's more just to be able to have some peas and carrots or even a little mashed potatoe with my meat rather than the boring veges/salad i have been eating....or just have a plate of vegetables and forget the meat totally...THIS i could do! (but of course it would be the higher carb vegies)....

I was not a big meat eater before Atkins...and I am finding it hard to stomach it some days....

I also get highly frustrated regarding eating out, some days/nights it practical for me to eat out (work/family outings etc) I know people here often suggest "i take a bag of macadamia's with me when i am out for when i feel hungry"...well yeah, although I think this is a great idea, sometimes "a bag of nuts" isn't enough for the situation! and there are hardly any places (without going to some fancy ass restaurant) that has much to offer in the way of low carb (and I am not paying for a pizza and just eating the topping or buying a burger and eating just the burger..i am still hungry after just that so there is no point)....

I am really sorry to be dumping all this on you, i am just having a little vent i suppose..I really don't expect you to provide me with any sort of motivation or answers to my probably annoying grieviences...

My reasoning for switching to low fat was because if i go low carb except for adding in some high carb foods then essentially I won't be doing Atkins and therefore I probably wont lose weight because my carb count will be too high!????

I will definitly take what you said into consideration, i am still on the moment following Atkins correctly but I think some time next week I am going to have to change something otherwise I will just end up forgetting it all together

Thanks again and if it is you in that photo you are very cute!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay3osu
I am going to bug you again. Don't suppose you remeber what your typical daily menu was like while on induction and what it's like now. And if you do remember, would you be so kind as to post it?

Hi Kay,

No, rest assured, you’re not bugging me with your questions.

Matter of fact, you’re the very first person whose ever asked what I eat on a daily basis. LOL First of all, my cooking sucks. There isn’t any other way than for me to put crudely. As they say, my cooking is the sort that only a mother could appreciate; and, even she balked on a few occasions remarking, “that’s ok dear, you’re the reason why restaurants will always prosper.”

With that caveat, I’ll give you an example of my daily menus—which is far from diverse, to say the least.

Induction:

Breakfast – Nothing, since I’ve been skipping breakfast the last 10 years of my life, except on the those rare and special occasions, like on vacation, breakfast meeting, or something along those lines.

Lunch – Entrée I would have chicken wings with blue cheese, and a small salad with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and maybe cucumbers drowned in lots of salad dressing.

Dinner – Usually a steak with a side of either broccoli or spinach with lots of butter.

That was basically my Induction menu with variations on the entrée, of course. Some days I’ll switch and have roasted chicken, salmon filet, baked cod, or roasted pork depending if I were dining out or eating at home. I found that during Induction, eating at home was more practical than dining at restaurants.

Now, my menus are a little more diverse.

Breakfast – Once again, I skip it. Only difference is after my morning runs, I’ll now have a glass of orange juice, a fruit (either apple, banana, or grapes), along with some peanut butter (I take a spoon and eat if straight from the bottle, which is the way I had it when I was a kid)

Lunch – Usually seafood, like some fish, or shrimp, crab or lobster with lots of butter. Along with a salad with cheese, nuts, and lots of dressing. A fruit dish such as ¼ cantaloupe, cup of strawberries, or whatever fresh fruits I’m in the mood for.

Dinner – Usually a meat dish, such as steak, roasted chicken, lamb chops, veal, pork saltimbucca, or something heavier than my seafood lunch. A side of veggies, usually broccoli or spinach drowned in some kind of high fat sauce or butter. Dessert I’ll have fresh fruits again and some nuts, either peanuts, almonds, or macadamias. On some occasions, I’ll have real ice cream, chocolates, or cakes.

I usually have a combination of the above depending on my whims of the moment. Once a week, I will have an entrée of pasta, or a serving of bread, or whatever food I’d find pleasurable at the moment. It seems to me now that with a maintenance ccl of about 100 carbs, it’s impossible to fill that up with just eating fruits and veggies without adding some high carb items, like pasta, breads, or ice cream. I can only eat so many veggies. If anything, I’ve been having more problem keeping weight on, than off; so, I surmise once people reach Maintenance phase, they’ll find they can eat much more liberally and not gaining any weight what so ever.

Regards,

Frederick

PS: Kay, I hope my menu wasn’t too dreary for you to read. Now, you can see vividly why I don't keep a journal. As Pepsimax observed, after writing day one, it'd be the same the next day, and the following day, and etc.... LOL
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1976
I was not a big meat eater before Atkins...and I am finding it hard to stomach it some days....

Low carbing, in particular the Atkins plan, was made for people like me. Naturally, I don't expect there are many who are like me with the retro carnivorous barbaric tastes easily satisfied with just a huge plate of meat. LOL However, variety is important, even to a person such as myself who predominantly prefers meats. Most of the people I know around me would never be able to just have a large ole piece of meat and nothing else for dinner. For me, there are days where the only place I wanna dine is a steak house, where I order a huge 32 ounch Porterhouse cut seared to a perfect medium rare resting on a plate of sizzling butter, and skipping the soup, salad, veggies, or any other side dishes to save my stomach for the beef. Actually, I do that once per week.

Quote:
I also get highly frustrated regarding eating out, some days/nights it practical for me to eat out (work/family outings etc) I know people here often suggest "i take a bag of macadamia's with me when i am out for when i feel hungry"...well yeah, although I think this is a great idea, sometimes "a bag of nuts" isn't enough for the situation! and there are hardly any places (without going to some fancy ass restaurant) that has much to offer in the way of low carb (and I am not paying for a pizza and just eating the topping or buying a burger and eating just the burger..i am still hungry after just that so there is no point)....

I couldn't agree with you more here. I too find it exasperatingly difficult especially during Induction and OWL to stay within the parameters of low carbing during social dinners, family functions, or simply dining with friends. I've never been comfortable with bringing my own food to any occasion, whether it's theatre, restaurant, or gathering at someone's home. I find it rude and impolite insisting and refusing to try a special dish which a friend or acquaintance had spent the better part of the day preparing; and, find it obnoxious in the extreme to bring my own special food while everyone else is eating what's served. I'm not criticizing those who do, but merely stipulating my own personal views on finding the practice crass and distasteful. Ordering pizzas and just eating the top, or ordering burgers with no bread are just not things I'm ever going to do. LOL I guess, we all have our respective idiosyncracies.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
My reasoning for switching to low fat was because if i go low carb except for adding in some high carb foods then essentially I won't be doing Atkins and therefore I probably wont lose weight because my carb count will be too high!????

I don't necessarily think you have to be doing Atkins in order to succeed in eating with a low carb regimen. Seriously, by all standards, going below 100 carbs is considered "low carb." For most of the world, the 20 carbs of Induction limit is far too drastic of a measure to ever contemplate, let alone trying to adhere to. In my view, you don't appear to have too much weight to lose; and, your natural palate preference isn't purely carnivorous--like mine--which means you're more of an omnivore than anything else. I think it's pretty easy to enjoy in moderation with all the foods your craving and still be at or roughly around 100 carbs/day, which would easily qualify as low carb. Just don't go berzerk gorging on 400 grams of carbs, or something equally foolhardy. Moderation is the key, in my view.

Regards,

Frederick
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:02

Plan: My Own Thing
Stats: 299/222.5/160 Female 5'10"
BF:EEK!
Progress: 55%

Hi Sarah,
I can't agree with Frederick more! I have been on my diet since February 2002...and no I haven't lost my weight lightening fast...BUT...once a week I do treat myself to something I have a desire for. (I'm probably going to get swatted for this).

But here's what I do...
#1 I set a day aside each week that I can have my special meal. (For me it is on Friday's. Since I have been married (14 years), Fridays have been the family's night to eat out. I cook every night of the week, so this is my night off.)

#2 During the week, if I have a craving for something...I make a "mental note" of what I want. On Friday night, if I still want it...that's what I have.

You have to be extremely disciplined to do this...cause sometimes a taste can drive you into a "bingefest".

I look at this as a small reward for my week's hard work. Does it slow down weight loss? Yes. But when I started this way of life...I had to modify it so that it would be a lifestyle...not a couple of months of a diet plan. So on Friday, if I have been wanting pasta, ice cream or meatloaf with peas and carrots...I have it.

I hope this helps...

Best wishes!