Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 08:38

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Anyone ever read Eat Right For Your Blood Type?

While I am a firm believer in Atkins, I was curious to read about what types of foods would be better for my health....I nearly died. The book said for my blood type I should abstain from CHICKEN, HAM and PORK. That turkey, lamb, mutton and rabbit were better for me, ew, mutton?...Has anyone else ever read this book? What are your thoughts on this? Before I read this book I was eating any and every kind of meat I wanted, now I am saddened to find out I should cut out soooo much...
Jess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 09:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I haven't read the book, because I'm highly skeptical and refuse to give Dr D'Adamo my hard-earned cash. Unless he can clearly demonstrate that the genes for metabolism are linked very closely to the genes for ABO blood cell antigens, it's a load of hooey. (And I'm pretty sure it's the latter, from what I learned in my 2nd year genetics course.) This is because genetic traits are inherited *independantly* from one another, with the exception of those that are literally *very close together* on a chromosome - and even then, it's not guaranteed, it's just higher probability. So just because you got type A blood (for example), doesn't mean you inherited any specific metabolic traits along with it.

My not-so-humble opinion.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Dec-20-03 at 09:42.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 11:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Check out the poll and thread on the topic in this forum...it pretty much proves they don't know what they're talking about....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 11:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

As an "A" blood type, I'm supposed to be vegetarian, with soy and rice being "extremely beneficial". Hmmm ... I've done the vegetarian thing for over a year, with 6 months as strict vegan. I developed irritable bowel and intolerance to most grains, skin rashes, hypoglycemia and migraines .. and also hypothyroid most likely from excess soy foods (soy is a known goitrogen). Organic brown rice ... so "healthy" right?? .. drives me wild with cravings and uncontrolled binges because it's so high glycemic.

When I started to eat meat again, and real butter and eggs ... I felt so much better, more energy, improved skin, no more late afternoon hypoglycemic "crashes". That was even before I started LC'ing for weight loss .. I was still eating more carbs then, but simply adding back animal proteins and saturated fats made me feel better.

I agree with Kristine .. the theory that genes for blood type will dictate the foods we must eat for optimal health is a load o' hooey. Since humans have only been able to determind blood type until very recently in our history, according to D'Adamo's theory our species should've died out many generations ago due to eating all the wrong foods.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 12:31

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I followed it for a while and lost bunches of weight, but I was unable to eat out at all. Very restrictive. I was eating lots of meat and veggies so it was essentially low carb, but as I said, way too restrictive. I enjoy Atkin's much better and there is more flexibility with greater results. I am type O and that is closest to lc. I would hate to be a type A and deny myself all the wonderful foods that are out there.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 16:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm type A-, and low-carb is the best way I've ever lost weight. The majority of the respondants to the poll under this category were type A, and we supposedly can't lose this way...hmmm.....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 18:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Unfortunately, the Eat Right For Your Type book is another of these pseudoscientific efforts with absolutely no scientific backing whatever.

Have a read of the info on this site to see what I mean.

Stick with Atkins, Jess, you'll stay healthy and happy that way.

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 07:35

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Yes, although I read the book I love chicken way too much to cut it out altogether, I am type B and I apparently should be eating tons of dairy which I am not fond of...I don't think I could every follow that WOE. Thanks for everyones input.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 09:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hey Jess, a question: are there references at the back of the book?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 23:07
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I've read this book and like Doreen, I practised being a partial veggie to a total veggie. Only to have lots of migrains, pounds adding on quickly, feeling like heck most of the time. Then, a dear friend gave me Atkin's books to read. By the way, this dear friend has lost 70 lbs since Feb, 2003 on ATKINS. I studied hard, did the blood work up and cleaned out my fridge and cupboards. I'm a different person. GO ATKINS! GO ATKINS!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%

Somebody on a previous thread on this topic (that I can't find right now, of course) said that matching blood type to eating type (whatever that may be) is a little like going to an NFL football (american, that is) game and noting that the gene for "good football player" is related to the gene for sickle cell anemia. That is, there is a statistical correlation, but one doesn't cause the other.