Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 14:09

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/179/145
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default manic depression and low-carb

I have bi-polar disorder, formerly known as manic-depression. I have been stabilized through medication since December of 1998. I take psychiatric drugs that not only inhibit my metabolism, but also increase appetite. I find a low-carb diet to be of great value because the food I am eating does not put on any weight and even with my impaired metabolic system, I am losing weight. I am in a state of ketosis and doing remarkably well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 14:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Way to go DharmaDave!

It's amazing the amount of illneses we can cure, but simply going to the original paleolithic lifestyle and diet of our ancient ancestors!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 14:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's great D-Dave! You may be able to help out some of the people who have questions about psychiatric drugs.

Have you considered starting a journal in the Journal forum?

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 21:32

Plan: One my doctor gave me, similar to Atkins
Stats: 262/239/140
BF:
Progress: 19%

I agree with you Dave that the low carb diet seems to be the only one to beat the low metabolism drugs for bipolarism. I have it too and every one of my drugs affects my metabolism. It was actually my psychiatrist who suggested the low carb diet. I've been on various drugs over the past ten years, some worse in the weight gain department than others, the ones I'm on now are not too bad, but not great for losing either. The low carb diet however is the FIRST to get real results for me.
I too am stabilized, but still suffer from minor mood swings, predominantly towards depression. My problem is to chill out if I don't lose what I THINK I should lose and not let it get to me. Anyway, glad to see another 'bipi' on the list.
Cheers,
Finn
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 21:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I've read quite a bit about bipolar disorder (I had to research it for something I was writing) and one of the dietary recommendations -- whether one was on medication or not -- was to eat salmon and other high Omega3 foods. There were Scandinavian studies (bipolar disorder is especially high in Scandinavia) that noted a difference in the rates of bipolar among people who ate salmon -- once a staple in the Nordic diet -- and those who did not.

I think tamarian's point about the number of ills that can be cured by going back to our dietary origins is a good one.

DharmaDave, yours was a wonderful post to read. I'm so glad you've got both the disorder AND the weight problems from the medication well under control and are enjoying the new way of eating to boot! I also hope you'll start a journal. It's very helpful to have posts from people who have changed to this WOE for health reasons as well as weight loss ones.

All best to you.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/199/136
BF:
Progress: 10%

This is a very encouraging thread as I suffer from depression also, very severe and just began a new medicine called zyprexa so I'm hoping that with that and hopefully getting my weight under control because my cholesterol is 349 that I will
begin to feel better.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:26

Plan: One my doctor gave me, similar to Atkins
Stats: 262/239/140
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Lena. I take Zyprexa as part of the 'cocktail' of drugs to maintain my balance. Do you have side effects from it? Is it agreeing with you? I take 5 mg a day? You? It's a pretty good drug for me, when it was added in with my others I found it really boosted the power of my anti-depressants.
Hope this finds you feeling well.
Cheers,
Finn
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 00:54

Stats: 177/140/140 Female 5'3 1/2"
BF:
Default Remarkable Courage!

Hey Lenagal, My son has bipolar disorder and was previously taking Zyprexa. One of the side effects is weight gain, so you will probably be able to head it off with this WOE. You'll lose enough to offset what the Zyprexa causes you to gain. So, don't get discourged if you have a little bit of a slow start. This is a wonderful forum with lots of fabulous people with lots and lots of knowledge from hands on experiences. I love it here and know that you will too.

Start a journal as soon as you can and the support will start rolling in.

Hi to Finn and DharmaDave too...I'll visit you two when you get your journals going...much much good luck to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't forget, even for one minute, how special you are."
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 02:31
Registered Member

BF:

Finn, sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I take 10 mg. and so far no side affects, I am new to the Atkins so I will be letting you know if my body resists the weight loss, because of the drug.
Take care!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 02:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default hey Jude

Thank you SO much for that information
I will definitely remember that, I had already gained some from another anti-depressant, this ain't easy!
so I will take extra precaution to follow the program and I am walking.

yes, the forum is fantastic.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 11:43

Stats: 177/140/140 Female 5'3 1/2"
BF:
Default WOW!

LenaGal, Thanks for the note today...hope you're doing well? I just wanted to say that I visited your web site...totally amazing...what a talent you have! I love poetry to begin with but, your site in absolutely fabulous, I could spend the day there...the music and the poetry... awsome! I enjoyed every minute that I was there. I plan to go back over and over to read more of your poetry. I'm glad that you've joined the forum. Please get you own journal started when you have a chance. Just list what you had to eat for the day if you don't feel like talking about anything else.

I treat my journal like a friend and say whatever is on my mind on any given day. If I'm really tired or busy, I may skip a day of two, but, usually I post every night before going to bed. It's a great reference, when you want to go back and check on something from back when...I also find it to be comforting when just writing something down helps.

If I can help you in anyway at all, please just ask. Thanks again for the enjoyment you provide, with your website. Come by my journal when you get a chance...

BTW, Lena, you're beautiful as well as smart! The pictures of you on your website are lovely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Remember, GOD is still in HEAVEN, you don't have to handle everything yourself"
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 12:24
Registered Member

BF:
Default Jude....

YOU are entirely sweet and precious, thank you so much for visiting my site, I truly appreciate it. Your kind words and compliments have made my day, it is my hope to put a full length picture of me on there one day, I wouldn't now, don't want to scare folks away.

Words can change a person in an instant and yours have been received so warmly. We can do this, our bodies will be dynamite!!!!!!!!!!!

I will get that jouirnal going, I love to talk