Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Beat Carb Cravings -- from Yahoo's iVillage

12 Ways to Stop Craving Carbs

With the growing popularity of low-carb diets, many people are wondering how to get past the cravings for cookies, crackers, bread and other diet breakers. Here are some simple suggestions brought to you by fellow iVillagers.

Pump up the protein

I have found that if I increase my intake of protein slightly, as well as my intake of low-carb vegetables, it helps me a lot. It especially helps when I'm stressed or menstruating. --iVillager lemonlime798

I have similar cravings, but with sugar. They're pretty similar, though, because sugar is a form of carbohydrate. The trick is, eat more protein and vegetables, and slowly but surely your cravings will lessen. Usually it takes about a week, but you'll notice the difference. So, next time you crave a pretzel or bagel or something, go for a handful of nuts, or some olives, or a slice of cheese, and you'll notice a change shortly. --sasny

Be a soy nut

I have been snacking on soy nuts, and they seem to eliminate the cravings. I was the biggest carb eater in the world. Try it. --iVillager lankyspanky

Supplement your craving with a supplement

I tried L-glutamine in caplet form, and it works every time. Now I take it when I wake up and right before I eat lunch and dinner. No more cravings. --iVillager scootergirl2001

Plan carb-free snacks

It starts at the supermarket. Have non-carb snacks prepared for when that craving strikes. Buy dried fruit, nuts, soy nuts, whatever your choice is. I carry small bags with me and keep some at work and home. Plan ahead, we all have cravings. This way you won't be reaching for just anything. --chikara2000

Trick your craving and skip the treat

I am a cookie addict. If I have one bite of a cookie it's good-bye diet. This may sound silly, but I eat two or three olives or a dill pickle, and it usually kills those cravings. --jelv

I try to suck on a lime or sugarless candy until the craving passes. --iVillager scratchalatcha

Stay hydrated

I think that filling up on water really helps. A full stomach makes it hard to eat anything. --karatekid

Kick the carb habit

When you get out of the habit of letting yourself have the carbs, you may find that you get used to it. --iVillager mothersday861

Crave away

Carbs aren't bad for you; you just need to make the best choice. If you are craving bread, go for a good, solid multigrain (not the stuff that looks like white bread dyed brown). Watch out for the cookies, but go for a more filling fruit choice such as a banana. If you are eating so heavy on the protein side, it's no wonder that you're getting cravings. The goal is to balance protein and carbs, not to eliminate one or the other. --iVillager livelotsoflife

Eat small meals or snacks

Cravings are something we can control by eating small snacks throughout the day. If you want to eat fruit as a snack (even though Atkins says otherwise), I don't think that is a bad carb to have. But I control my cravings by eating small meals throughout the day. --Lisa

Clean teeth kick cravings

Try to brush your teeth. Usually you don't want to eat with the toothpaste taste in your mouth. It worked for me. --Sandy

Copyright © 2002 iVillage.com All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2002 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Service - Privacy Policy for Yahoo! Health

The information contained above is intended for general reference purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice or a medical exam. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment. Medical information changes rapidly and while Yahoo and its content providers make efforts to update the content on the site, some information may be out of date. No health information on Yahoo, including information about herbal therapies and other dietary supplements, is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 05:57

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Beat Carb Cravings -- from Yahoo's iVillage

Quote:
Originally posted by bkcooper

Crave away

Carbs aren't bad for you; you just need to make the best choice. If you are craving bread, go for a good, solid multigrain (not the stuff that looks like white bread dyed brown). Watch out for the cookies, but go for a more filling fruit choice such as a banana. If you are eating so heavy on the protein side, it's no wonder that you're getting cravings. The goal is to balance protein and carbs, not to eliminate one or the other. --iVillager livelotsoflife

A person that is totally clueless when it comes to understanding insulin releases and carbohydate addiction.

If you are eating so heavy on the protein side, it's no wonder that you're getting cravings.

Oh brother give me a break.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: TKD,CKD,atkin,bodyop
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

HCA work for me but must take it befor meal 1/2 hour
and must take it at 2000 mg
that what hydroxcut contain and why hydroxcut work
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 09:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Thanks for the helpful information bkcooper!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 09:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

q8ty, the information you're providing runs in the opposite direction of the support we're trying to provide on this forum.

We advocate that health and fat loss comes from the food you eat and learning a lifetime of eating habits that are right for you.

Advising others to take certain chemical substances is not appropriate here and would be better talked about in a forum that supports those methods.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 09:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by q8ty
HCA work for me but must take it befor meal 1/2 hour
and must take it at 2000 mg
that what hydroxcut contain and why hydroxcut work
Um, HCA (hydroxycitric acid/ Citrimax) is used as a fat-burner, or rather, it inhibits the conversion of glucose to fat. I've not heard of it used for carbo cravings, although some proprietary weight loss formulas combine HCA with minerals such as chromium .. and the chromium may be helpful for cravings.

Trainerdan has organized a comprehensive discussion of fat-burners and thermogenics in the General Exercise forum. Check out THERMOGENIC INFO: Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, Ripped Fuel, Diet Fuel, Metabolife, AdipoK ... it's a Sticky thread, at the top of the messages list.

Doreen