Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:05

Plan: Atkins (mostly)
Stats: 176/162/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello, everyone. PMS cravings aggravating me. Help?

Hi--

I'm new to the forum. This is my second go round with low carb eating; the first time I was on a diet to curb hypoglycemia by getting rid of sugar. I got down to 135 and felt great. Then I had two kids in two years with pretty severe gestational diabetes and blew up like a balloon.

I couldn't lose weight while I was nursing my youngest, probably because of the high estrogen levels it causes, not to mention being hungry 24/7. My little guy has finally weaned (at 3.5 years), so now I've started back on low carbing, using Atkins as a basic guide.

I started at 176lbs on 2/22/04 and have lost 14lbs so far, though I had a setback during my second week of induction which I think slowed me down for a few days. I caught rotavirus (yuck!) and couldn't eat for 2 days, then couldn't eat anything but bananas and a bit of chicken noodle soup for 2 more. I also got a UTI associated with the virus and had to drink lots of cranberry juice for a few days. I'm still really happy with my progress, though I am a little frustrated right now due to intense PMS cravings, mostly for chocolate. I plan to stay on Induction for at least a few more weeks, mostly because I'm in a hurry to not to look like a hippo in my bathing suit.

These cravings are really bugging me. Anybody else here have crazy blood sugar issues during menstruation? In addition to craving bad things, I'm just starving all the time during my period. Is it typical to need to eat more or more often? If I don't, I get really lightheaded, and I wasn't having that problem before.

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions.

Spac3y
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 21:03
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

hello,

i think a lot of us women have that problem with TOM, if you are hungry, EAT! just keep it low carb. me, i have to have the chocolate during TOM. just watch out for the sugar alcohols, it may have an effect on you. Lc ice cream uses splenda, and only 2 alcohols. some people will advice you to stay away from the Lc products referred to as "frankenfoods" but the choice is yours. (a bowl of low carb ice cream vs. a candy bar.) i ate the ice cream alot after my first 2 weeks, and it never stalled me. you could try an atkins shake too. the strawberry ones are really good.